NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

Announcements
The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
warren_scott

Show matching Parenthesis

by Active Participant warren_scott on ‎05-17-2011 06:05 PM

Do you ever write an expression in TestStand with a bunch of parenthesis () and get lost halfway through trying to figure out which pairs are open and which are closed.  Well, I do.  Every Day.  And I spend accumulated hours a week just trying to keep track of which ) goes with which (.  If I'm lucky I can look for a little red item in the expression, or click on the check expression checkbox, but when I have a 'only runtime evaluatable' expression I'm out of luck (which is rather often) ).  Some languages/editors have a parenthesis matching, where the ) your cursor is on causes the matching ( to get bold or flash.  Others start coloring each pair a different color, so it's easy to see them all.  Why can't TestStand do something like this????

TSparenthesis.png

Comments
by Active Participant Jervin Justin on ‎05-17-2011 06:28 PM

If you kudos this idea, can you please post which option you like better?

(Personally I like option 1 - show matching paranthesis only. Like Visual Studio, where they use a gray background)

by Trusted Enthusiast ‎05-18-2011 02:29 AM - edited ‎05-18-2011 02:30 AM

Actually I thought it already highlighted the matching paranthesis when you placed your cursor either on or next to a bracket.

by Member Captain_Jack on ‎05-18-2011 07:33 AM

Assuming that it's not in TestStand 2010, I'd prefer the matching brace highlighting. Having multiple colors could hide the error color (red by default), when the braces don't match.

The best option would be to allow the user to select one of the three options (none, match or colors) in the Expression Editing Options of the Station Options. 

by Member Jimmy_Reumuth on ‎06-03-2011 05:04 PM

This feature has not been implemented. If you want to see it in a future version, you'll need to kudo it here.

by Member icastillejos on ‎06-06-2011 11:28 AM

I'd be ok with the instellisense version or the "basic" version from Notepad++

testParethesis.jpg

by Member EMR on ‎09-19-2011 07:32 AM

i don't need the multiple colors persay (i won't complain if I get them!) but I totally agree that this would be ideal.

About NI TestStand Idea Exchange

Do you have a feature idea for how to improve NI TestStand? Submit and vote on ideas now!

1. Browse by label or search in the TestStand Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea. Note: the TestStand Idea Exchange is not the appropriate forum to submit technical support questions.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see implemented!

The TestStand R&D team is committed to reviewing every idea submitted via the TestStand Idea Exchange. However, we cannot guarantee the implementation of any TestStand Idea Exchange submission until further documented.

Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count