NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K_Joy

Put the X on the tab it goes with in the Sequence Editor.

This is available in TestStand 2020

The current placement creates confusion about what you’re actually closing out of when you click it. It makes me hesitate and wonder what I am about to close. 

If you click it when there are multiple files open, it just closes out of the tab on top. If you click it when there is only one file open, it closes out of the whole pane, including the Sequences and Variables windows.

TestStandX.png

It would eliminate any ambiguity if the X for each file were on the tab for that file and if there were a separate X for the pane, like you typically see in tabbed programs.

You could also just put an X next to the pin on each little window instead, like the X in the Step Settings pane and the Insertion Palette in the screenshot above. 

11 Comments
warren_scott
Active Participant

And while you are updating the tab behavior, how about this:

if you have lots of extra space, why not go ahead and let the tab size get larger so we can see the full file name?

Make tabs larger.png

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I say emulate the tabbing effect of a web browser.  That means (at least with FF) that each tab has its own X.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RavensFan
Knight of NI

That same idea is also in the LabWindows/CVI Exchange.

Put the X on the tab it goes with

(Of course you know that since it was also your idea.)

Just to put a crosslink here so if someone sees one, they'll go kudo the other.

dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

I agree an 'x' on each tab would be nice. In the meantime, in case you aren't aware, in recent versions of TestStand (2013 at least and maybe 2012, I forget), you can middle-mouse click on a tab to close it (just like in most web browsers).

-Doug

sridar.m

Thats really needed when we work with many sequences

christopherdean

I didn't even know there was an "X" over there. I have always done a right-click, close tab. I think this is a good idea though, it makes more sense to put an X on the tab than way on the side.

paulmw
Active Participant

In web browsers I've accidently clicked on the 'x' and closed the tab when all I wanted to do was select it.  (Usually happens when I have two XML results files open and I am click back and forth to quickly see delta)

Any ideas to prevent this when concidering adding the 'x'?

Vincent90
Active Participant

Ctrl+W shortcut could do the job meanwhile NI implements it 🙂

bienieck
Active Participant

If you go to Configure >> UI Configuration you can uncheck Display Documents in Tabs. This way you can have it like this:

2020-05-20 12_28_11-NI TestStand - Sequence Editor [Edit].png

or

minim.png

Then just keep in mind that if you maximize window and want to minimize it back, you have to find a black buttons (it is not intuitive IMO):

close.png

I'm just placing this comment here, because maybe you don't need tabs at all.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Under Consideration

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver