NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eugene12

Professional Development package should include source code control (SCC) and Requirements Gateway

Professional Development package should include source code control (SCC) and Requirements Gateway right out of the box.

I know that bundled SCC was a problem in the past that NI wants to avoid, but I feel that a "Professional" development system isn't very professional without it and Requirements Gateway. However, It is very difficult and painful for me to get separate funds approved for important items that really needs to be already there right out of the box.

I already use free SVN, but TestStand does not recognize it, so it is not "integrated".

Eugene

6 Comments
Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

Disagree with NI creating their own SCC system. Unless NI saw a business opportunity to sell it separately, I can't see how it would be anything but an expensive add-on. If they were to bundle an existing SCC, what system would you want?

What other development systems come with SCC?

I use SVN and do not miss the 'integration' but the main problem is with SVN is that the common Tortoise client does not comply with the MS standard for SCC. PushOK is an inexpensive client for SVN and I've been told that TestStand works well with that.

And no, I have not had a requirement for the Requirements Gateway in the 12 years I've been using it. I would not like to see the price of that added to my license. Much prefer to keep it separate.

Eugene12

"What other development systems come with SCC?"

Good question. Probably none. But, isn't there something about TestStand that often leaves SCC as an afterthought.

I would hope that the price would not be very significantly higher than it is now. Requirements Gateway is indeed too expensive.

I am not looking for them to create their own SCC as they did before, but it would be nice if they were to offer some existing product out of the box with TestStand Professional.

I will look into PushOK.

Thanks,

Eugene

Eugene12

The following thread gives good info on SCC:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Native-SubVersion-Support/idi-p/962590

This is also good:

"What Source Code Control Are You Using?"

http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/2463.pdf 

Eugene

Eugene12

This is also good:

"NI TestStand Shared Drive Deployment Reference Architecture"

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7061

Santiago D
NI Employee (retired)

Eugene,

Thank you for submitting your idea on including a source code control package and NI Requirements Gateway in a bundled package with NI TestStand.  The strategy for NI TestStand with regard to source code control will continue to focus on providing integration with commercial off the shelf source code control tools.  We are aware of requests to provide more advanced integration with existing products and will consider these requests for future versions of TestStand.

For example, we have heard requests for features in TestStand to use SCC repositories or databases as the backing store for TestStand files (instead of the file system). If this is the kind of functionality you were thinking of when you submitted this request, perhaps you could submit another request focused along these lines. Even to deliver on these kinds of features, we do not expect to need to provide a National Instruments source code control tool unless we find that the existing options do not provide the necessary functionality for our customer base.

With regard to bundling NI TestStand with NI Requirements Gateway, we currently provide NI Developer Suite, which can bundle these products by including the Automated Test and Requirements Management options.

Regards,
Santiago D

Santiago D
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined