NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

FrontEnd Callback path should be modified in the configure options ....

Hello all TestStand fans, 

For my recent project i had to modify the frontEnd callback.

=> According to the TestStand help, the only path where this file can be created is in TestStand default path or in the corresponding user path.

.... But no where else !!!! Smiley Mad

It would be nice to be abble to configure the frontEndCallback path in the configure options !

=> Doing so, the path of this callback could be placed everywhere ! (In the configuration path would be nice !)

=> Doing so, it would be possible to create a frontendcallback for each configuration !

I am a TestStand developper, a NI partner, not a TestStand end user.

My work is to provide custom sequencer for my customer.

On my computer i had to manage many different sequencer !

• If file are threated as global ... i had to customize my computer to switch among my different sequencers ! (Or to create virtual PC's : Virtual box / VmWare ... ) Smiley Mad

• If all TestStand configuration files where identified in the "Configuration directory", my only work to switch from 1 project to an other would be to point on a different Configuration path ! Smiley Very Happy

I think that if it is impossible to do so, today, is because this callback is loaded before the "Station configuration" is loaded ?  

My ideas should be applyed to all global files ...

• Station callbacks
  • Localization file
  • ... i dont't know the behaviour of all files !

• Please get rid off all "Global files" ! Smiley Sad
  • Replace them by files, with path configuration in the "Station options" ... and located in the "Configuration path" Smiley Happy

Doing so, will also simplify the deployement process !!!! Smiley Happy

=> A single path copy ... is quite easyer as a complicate deployment process ! Smiley Wink

Thanks for your help.

Manu.net

Manu.net
2 Comments
dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

Workspace based settings is a common feature request. I think it is a good point that the frontend callback should perhaps be part of any such workspace based settings and/or controlled by a configuration option.

Elaine_R.
Active Participant

Error handling callbacks would ideally also be workspace specific, as would ... well most things, really. 🙂 as it is, i just use the API on startup to shuffle things around (or create very meticulous installers) but ideally the workspace would act as an 'override' namespace just like the user folder has done historically