NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Captain_Jack

Display Sequence Call target Sequence and Parameter comments in the 'Step Settings for <Sequence Call>' Module tab

It would be nice if the Step Settings for a Sequence Call step's Module tab would also list the calling sequences comments field and the parameter comments in addition to the prototype information. This would allow sequence calls to easily present information on the expected use of the sequence, along with parameter information (ranges, default options, etc) that would be useful to the developer. I've created a simple mockup of what I'd like to see here:

19657iFA3E1FCBE0E24E08

By adding these features, sequences can contain their own 'help' information which would allow the developer to configure the call without having to leave the step module dialog.

Thanks,

-Jack

11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

This is a lot like showing the VI Description for VI calls - users need to know what is the intended use of the sequence.  KUDOS!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
EMR

I also agree this would be handy. Too often those comments get lost behind the edges of windows/ etc. and they could be really handy to have when setting up sequence calls.

I might even go further and want to see parameter comments/ variable comments in other places too... like on codemodule calls... maybe as optional tooltips?

Cheers,
Elaine R.
www.bloomy.com
Raydur

We create/use a lot of external subsequence calls and the comments of the parameters provide the user information on what input is expected. It would be fantastic if this information was presented in the calling sequence where the variables are being passed in!

Please implement!

PhantomPhixer

I would also like to see this feature implemented! As a contractor with many clients I often find myself working with other developers code, this feature would be a great aid and timesaver.                                                                                                                                       KUDOS ++

DamienGaudry

This is a great suggestion!!  This could elimate the need to have a number of sequence files open when making sequence calls to external sequence files and wanting to see the comments for the sequences contained within the file! Big time saver!

srsayer

Great idea!  It's very useful and time saving to have comments available, instead having to look for the parameter description and purpose elsewhere.  When modifying baseline code that you are not necessarily familiar with, comments serve a very useful purpose.

jduncan8673

Please implement in your future release as this would provide to be a huge time saver and a reason to upgrade!!

Mike_Powers

I agree this would be a great feature. NI, any plans to implement this?

netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Regards,

Kristen M