From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NitzZ

Custom Step to detect "Step Deletion"

It would be nice to have some kind of Custom Step which gets triggered when a step is deleted from a sequence. Something very much similar to "OnNewStep" which is triggered when a Step is dropped into the sequence.

We may have an option, say, "OnStepDeletion" to detect the deletion of a step. This will be very helpful in many of the step usages.

The TestStand Flow Control Steps like "IF" and "FOR" use the "OnNewStep" to create an "END" step along with them when they are dropped. But there is no means to automatically remove the created "End" when the "FOR" or "IF" Steps are deleted from the sequence. The proposed "OnStepDeletion" can be handy in such cases.

I hope you all will support this idea as it will make many of the functionalities more efficient. 

Regards,
Nitz 

(PS : Forgive me if anyone has posted this idea already. I couldn't find any such posts)

3 Comments
Josh_W
Active Participant

Having reciprocal behavior available is always a good thing.

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
RobStone

Good idea!

There's a big range of use cases the "Custom" SubStep could be used for.

Larry.C
Active Participant

BUMP...

Is this at all being considered? I am trying to define fileglobal variables during edit time that need to be removed when the associated step is removed. I could do this using the TS context and some LabVIEW code however I need it to be called when the step is removed.

Larry Colvin
Associate Principal Engineer
Dyson Technology Ltd.