NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Al.B

Create a TestStand Example Finder

With the release of TestStand 2012 you can now find a link under the Help drop-down titled NI TestStand Examples. Thanks for your feedback! Lars

I have noticed that the TestStand shipping examples are often overlooked when looking for ways to accomplish things with TestStand.  This is not the case (as much) in LabVIEW and CVI, and I feel that this is because TestStand does not have an example finder.  I would like to see some method of accessing the shipping examples through the sequence editor environment, such as:

1-1.png

Another problem with the current setup is that the only way to know what the example demonstrates is the name of the folder.  This makes it easy to overlook examples that would be helpful. 

I propose adding a TestStand example finder with these features (in order of importance):

• Provide a description for each example (most of this info can be pulled from the sequenceFileLoad callback dialogs in a lot of the examples)
  • have keywords for the examples, and allow searching
  • for more advanced examples, provide a batch file to load all necessary components 
  • Provide links to the NI community and developer zone to encourage participation
Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
6 Comments
RayFarmer
Trusted Enthusiast

I believe there is a workspace file at the top level of the Examples folder. Regards Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
Josh_W
Active Participant

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call Read The Manual (aka RT_M) on this.

All of the examples can be found in the help

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052J-01/TOC35.htm

Most examples also have a nice discription. For example:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052J-01/tssuppref/infotopics/accessing_arrays/

Is the goal of this idea just to make the examples more visible within the Sequence Editor meus? If so, would having a link directly to the examples table of contents in the help be sufficient?

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
Al.B
NI Employee (retired)

Smiley Very Happy definately didn't see that...Thanks for the info.  But yes, I would love to see this linked in the help menu and more visible.

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)

Status changed to: Under Consideration to include the link in the help menu.

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
Lars_L
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
With the release of TestStand 2012 you can now find a link under the Help drop-down titled NI TestStand Examples. Thanks for your feedback! Lars