From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warren_scott

Context Aware AutoComplete

Background --

I LOVE the autocomplete feature within any of the formula windows.  Start typing Locals.F, and it allows you to autocomplete to Locals.Foo.

However, if you have Locals.Foo1, Locals.Foo2, Locals.Foo3, etc, you need to keep typing until you get enough to uniquely match the one you want, or start using the arrow keys in the list (or select with a mouse).

The problem is that if you just type Locals.F, the list of items that shows up is the entire list of Locals.*, in the order they are in Locals.*  In reality, once I've typed Locals.F, I should only get the locals variables that start with F, so I don't need to down arrow through all the other Locals.Bar1, Locals.Bar2 that are inbetween Locals.Foo1 and Locals.Foo2 (because for some weird reason I really want the order of my locals variables to be Foo1, Bar1, Bar2, Foo2, Foo3).

So, let's restrict the autocomplete function to only show the items that match what I have already typed, or at least regroup the matching variables at the top of the list so they are easier to select from.

Even better would be to have it context aware.  If the formula I am typing is "Locals.MyNumber = 3.1415 * Locals.F", and Locals.Foo1 is a string, Locals.Foo2 is an array of booleans, and Locals.Foo3 is a number, then it should skip over Locals.Foo1 and Foo2 because the context requires a number.  Foo1, Foo2, Foo3 should all be in the list of items to choose from if I want to arrow up or down in the list (or use a mouse to select), but Foo3 should be the "defaulted" item that is used if I just hit enter after Locals.F.