NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EMR

Break the explicit association between PostResultListEntry callbacks and 'On the Fly' logging

The default process models internally enable/disable the PostResultListEntry callbacks in ways that aren't intuitive to users seeking to quickly edit a callback to customize/override behavior. 

It would be nice to see that instead of simply turning off the callback (leaving users to wonder why their override doesn't work like all the others, except if they read the help/ or think to turn on 'on the fly reporting') as part of the process model based on the options....

(1) leave the callbacks on and move the 'on the fly' logic into an IF defined section within the sequence

(2) make a second PostResultListEntrys  style callback that's explicitly for 'on the fly' that is in addition to other PostResultListEntry behaviors that a user may want to enable/add.

I've had several customers now who have designed custom event loggers / reports around the ProcessModelPostStep callback (with some rather convoluted logic where they dig for results)  simply due to the fact that they couldn't understand why their PostResultListEntry callbacks didn't work.... or that they didn't feel comfortable editing the process model in order to remove the logic that force the callback to be disabled when not 'on the fly' and also keep the 'on the fly' reporting unharmed if they want it later.

Cheers,

Elaine R.

Cheers,
Elaine R.
www.bloomy.com
3 Comments
B_Sherm
Active Participant

My idea to create a PostStepNoMatterWhat callback sounds like it addresses the same issue you are seeing: there is not currently a PostStep callback that executes reguardless of step and report settings. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand-Idea-Exchange/Add-New-PostStepNoMatterWhat-Engine-Callback/idi-...

Brad S. | National Instruments | CLA
Joe_H1

Sorry Sherm, I think you were still logged in on this PC from back when you were helping us.  The comment above is mine.  If Sherm had posted something, it would have been much more intellectual and articulate.

B_Sherm
Active Participant

Interesting. It must have only been for the idea exchange because all the other posts I have seen are from you Joe_H1. 

Brad S. | National Instruments | CLA