NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
MimiKLM

Additional column in sequences sub-window of Sequence Editor indicating numbers of its callers

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

In the Sequences sub-window in the sequence editor along with the Sequence Comment and Requirement columns it would be good if we have another one with the number saying how many callers that sequence has.

7 Comments
dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

That would be tricky to determine because callers can be from other sequence files anywhere on the machine.

MimiKLM
Active Participant

Ok, so at least the callers from the current sequence file.

dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

Though perhaps not a subsitute for what you are asking for, you might want to try the "Display Sequence File Hierarchy" feature. It will display a graph of calls between the sequences within your file. It won't give you a number, but it will graphically show the calls between sequences in your file.

MimiKLM
Active Participant

I knew that. But I'm still after the number.

Elaine_R.
Active Participant

if this feature existed, what would the behavior be for dynamic callers? or callers that happen to fall in a loop? I guess I'm not sure what the value of this # would be since it'd probabaly be very hard to get accurately without execution.

Maybe you are looking for something akin to heirarchy (or the types view) where you want to know who is calling you while you're editing so you can modify/delete safely? can you give a scenario for this feature? I'm genuinely curious to know... historically I've just done a search if i'm worried that deleting a sequence might impact calling sequences etc.

MimiKLM
Active Participant

Ok,

When I posted this feature for discussion I were thinking more locally, and I implicitly limited it to one file only. Ususaly, I work only with one file, so that why I didn't think about multiple file files and dynamic calls.

Nevertheless, the information about the numbers of static callers within one sequence file would be nice to have.  

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver