From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam G

Ability to drag and drop sequences from the Sequences pane into the steps pane

It would be nice to be able to drag a sequence from the sequences pane over into the steps pane and have it automatically insert a Sequence Call Step with the dragged sequence selected. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
6 Comments
warren_scott
Active Participant

It would be nice, but would cause problems for us unless we could modify it slightly --

Our use case for TestStand is such that client sequence files  RARELY if ever use a out-of-the-box "sequence call" step type -- we use a customized "Company Sequence Call" step type that has a few additional special behaviors that are managed by our customized process model.

Right now it's pretty easy for users to get the right one, because the Right click -> insert step -> use type CompanySequenceCall is no harder than picking the out-of-the-box wrong one.  If users are able to drag/drop and it inserts a "sequence call" step type, my users would start doing that we would have a lot of code that did not run properly.  If we can configure it such that drag/drop an sequence onto this pane does action "foo" and I can configure "foo" to be "insert step type BAR with module XXXX" then I'm happy.

alex_bauer

Exactly what I wanted to propose, too.

I would go even further:

Also allow drag and drop from workspace to insert a sequence call to the MainSequence of a sequence file in the project.

Background:

If you have to maintain a lot of small testcases for development tests, you have to create a larger set of independent test sets that should be executed together. There is currently no tool (I'm aware of) to do that.

rajaramm
NI Employee (retired)

Adding to that there should be button for LV Action step called “Load from LV” which helps in browsing of VI when developing the sequence.

LV Setting.png

Upon selecting that button it should list all the VI that are opened in LabVIEW and user should be able to select one of those.  The VI path should get loaded for that particular step. 

netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
Raydur

I know this is already implemented (excellent), but it needs a minor tweak - The current implementation allows you to drag a sequence from the list and drop it as a step. However, the instant you click on the subsequence you are wanting to drop into your work area it immediately shows you that subsequence. The "show you the subsequence" action should occur on the release of the click (assuming you haven't moved the cursor off that item). As it is now, you have to click and hold on the subsequence you want to drop in (which switches the view), then drag it over the name of the previous subsequence you were working in (which may not be visible in the list, requiring you to try and click/drag to the scroll bar). After attempting to use this feature a few times I found myself less frustrated by just using the old method of dropping in a sequence call manually! Needs improvement!