From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Measurement Studio Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marrocco

Thin out data

Plotting a big array of sample uses quite some time in the current version. I think this comes from Measurement Studio drawing a line explicitly between each two samples. However, in case of millions of samples, many of those lines will cover only one single pixel.

Instead of drawing all lines, it would be possible to sample the data at a rate where each sample matches just one pixel in the input axis. In order to not loose peaks, the sampling needs to do a min/max calculation and draw two lines for the minima and maxima. A shade could be used between the two curves. When zooming, the sampling needs to be repeated.

This feature would not only save much performance for big data (I think), it can also help to improve clarity of the graph, p.e. in case of noisy signals.

While it's great that Measurement Studio offers all capabilities for us to implement this functionality ourselves, such a feature could be of interest for many users.

Of course, this idea is not my intellectual property. It's a feature already implemented in other products.

Christian
2 Comments
D-Cubed
NI Employee (retired)

The Measurement Studio WPF graph performs some rendering optimizations which satisfy this suggestion. Have you tried using the WPF graph?

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Marrocco

I have played around with the WPF graph and it indeed feels like it performs way faster than the Windows Forms implementation.

While porting an elaborated application from Windows Forms to WPF might be too costly, I understand that new features shouldn't go into the old Windows Forms technology. So feel free to decline this idea, or only consider it for WPF.

Christian