NI Measurement Studio Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
DieselPower

Real Time Support

This may or may not be possible, but I'd like to be able to run my .NET program using real time.  If this isn't something that NI can do because it involves hardware that isn't supplied or supported by NI, it would be nice to have some information on how it can be done.  I recently saw some presentations by people that are able to use some real time kernel to get faster loop rates than I can get in Windows (9 Hz).  This is the one major deficiency for Measurement Studio.  LabVIEW supports FPGA and real time, and I can completely understand why FPGA may not be possible for .NET projects.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
3 Comments
busarider29

Add a property to the cursors on WaveformGraphs and WaveformPlots that allows a description label to be added to the cursor.  This would be in addition to the standard label that is already there that displays the cursor coordinates.  As of right now, I have to create a label and code its coordinates to follow that of the cursor coordinates.  I want the user to be able to see the coordinates of the cursor obviously, but I also want him/her to know what scale that cursor is for if I have multiple Y-scales on my graph.  A description label that follows the cusor on the graph would be nice for that. 

dwk

Real-time is a function of the operating system. Windows is a multi-threaded (task-switching) OS. Thus, the OS decides which thread runs. You can get closer to real-time by giving your program higher priorty but then you take the risk of blocking other threads which may beneeded to update your display. Windows does not do 'real-time'.Smiley Sad

You would need an intelligent card placed on the PCI or PCIe backplane, or some external bus or device, which includes a real-time kernel of some kind. Then you would need Windows drivers to interface with the card or device.

Basically, you would need to be able to run your real-time code on the card itself, not Windows, and use the Windows drivers to control the device and read the results.

DieselPower
Active Participant

I've sinced figured out how to use a counter timer board to get a 10 Hz loop using a callback function on a 10 Hz clock.  I may eventually move to a LabWindows/CVI RT solution....

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI