NI Linux Real-Time Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Devices tested on NI Linux RT (myRIO/cRIO-9068)

This document exists to help users make decisions as to which usb devices to purchase to extend their NI Linux RT hardware. This list should be updated by the community and refreshed as kernel changes occur. NI makes no guarantee that a specifc usb device will work. There is no substitution for actual engineering and investigation.

Currently devices that use these drivers should be functional.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/94A534CA79FF8A7E86257C670068ED2B

*To edit select a row and the use the table buttons above to add rows/columns as needed*

Device Working Thread Where to Buy
Joysticks      

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

yes link  

Sony PS3 Controller

yes link  

Betop BTP 2267

yes link  
Cameras      
XBOX Kinect yes link  
Basler or Axis Camera with USB Dongle (need more info) yes link  
Sensors      
Hokuyo URG-04LX-UG01 LIDAR yes link Hokuyo URG-04LX-UG01(sentekeurope.com)
Bluetooth      
Cirago Bluetooth 4.0 in work   Cirago Bluetooth (amazon.com)
Ethernet      
AirLink 101 USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter yes asix driver AirLink USB 2.0 (airlink.com)
Sabrent USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter yes asix driver Sabrent USB 2.0 (amazon.com)
Serial      
Trendnet USB to Serial no   Trendnet USB to Serial
FTDI Basic Breakout yes ftdi_sio FTDI Basic Breakout (sparkfun.com)
Sabrent USB to Serial (Prolific driver) yes   Sabrent USB to serial
Digitus USB to Serial (FTDI driver) yes   Digitus USB to serial
StarTech Serial Hub (FTDI driver) yes   8 Port Serial Hub

National Instruments is not responsible for the information in this list. Claims that these devices will work out of the box should be considered speculative. Please look at the provided links to ensure that the devices work in the way you expect them to. This list is merely for convenience and organization purposes.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Comments
liejf
on

I am trying to use Cigaro Bluetooth 4.0 connected to myRIO USB port to commuincate with other BT enabled devices.

Does Labview include VIs to support BT communication through a BT device connected directly to MyRIO?

My Goal: Implement a VI that runs in MyRIO, used to communicate / read a BT enabled sensor, without having a host computer to perform data adquisition through BT.

BradM
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

liejf, are you talking about the LV BT pallet components (e.g. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3260/en/). Currently, NI Linux RT doesn't have support for those VI primitives.

liejf
on

BradM,

Thank you for your reply.

How can I implement an interface between BT USB dongle and Labview at NI Linux RT target?

What options do I have if LV BT pallet componets are not supported at NI Linux RT?

Notice that I have installed BLUZ4 package at MyRio and I can "talk" to the BT dongle using a terminal / commands (SSH connection to MyRio).

BradM
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Realistically speaking, it depends somewhat on what you want to do with the module. You can put together as simple or as complex a framework to scan, connect, and interact with hardware as you want in any language supported on the controller that supports interacting with bluetooth.

This can be bash-scripting or python coding accessed through the System Exec.vi through to a library written in C/C++ and accessed through the Call Library Function Node. Depending on the interface provided by the bluetooth interface libraries, you may be able to install and interact with the libraries directly from LabVIEW CLFNs.

Seyong
NI Employee (retired)
on

http://www.cosy.co.kr/mall/view.php?idx=1316&cnum1=1&cnum2=

I test this ethernet converter for Korean.

It works as  'CDC ethernet 100Mbps'.

Yusuke.T
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi, "Cirago Bluetooth 4.0" is now under the test?

BradM
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Hi Ytochigi,

Can you expand on what you mean by "under the test"?

Yusuke.T
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Brad, above table shows that "Cirago Bluetooth 4.0" isn't concluded it works with no problem.

Now it is testing or not? We are looking for a bluetooth device which has a compatibility with Linux RT.

BradM
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Hi Ytochigi,

Can you expand on what you mean when you say "We are looking for a bluetooth device which has [...] compatability with Linux RT"? How do you intend on using the BT device, from LabVIEW (the Bluetooth palette is not available on LabVIEW RT targets), or from the actual Linux OS itself (scripts/code separate from LabVIEW)?

In either case, the version of the OS on your hardware also has a bearing since Bluetooth support in the kernel was only enabled in 2016 kernels (comes with LabVIEW RT 2016 or RIO 2016 installations), before that the needed protocol bits in the kernel were missing and you'd have to manually create BT packets in userspace and pass them directly to a raw USB device.

Finally, now that I've filled in some background let's return to your original question. I am unaware if anyone has tested or successfully use a Cirago BT device with NI devices. It should work but has not been tested to my knowledge.

Tim_Ousley
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Ytochigi,

I have tested several CSR8510 based USB BT 4.0 dongles and can make them work correctly at the OS / utility level.  We don't have a nice (NI Labs) LV API that Windows 10 has though, and there's a few barriers that you will encounter.  I'll follow up with direct message.  At this point we're still trying to figure out how customers would like to use Bluetooth Low Energy, and what problems they are trying to solve.

Tim

Yusuke.T
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Brad and Tim, i really appreciate your kindness!!

Roman_Vala_NICZ
on

Hi Tim and Brad, 

I have an application where we would like to use BT for localisation using iBeacon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBeacon

We would just need to transimt a packet with identifier. Nothing special.

would that driver be available and able to do that?

regards

Roman 

BYeske
on
I am going down the path of discovering if the NI-232/4 USB to serial devices work with the NI-cRIO RT hardware. Does anyone know if these devices work with the cRIO? http://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/select/serial-interface-device?modelId=124821
Ben Yeske
labviewman
on

I can confirm the Trendnet USB serial device doesn't work (at least on a cRIO-9038/LV2020 drivers), but this one works (using a FDTI chipset), and has LEDs for line status:

link 

Contributors