From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROS running on NI Linux Real-Time

(I recognize that there is a ROS for LabVIEW discussion group but I think that this question is more appropriate for this group.)

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to run ROS (i.e. Robot Operating System, ros.org) on an NI Linux Real-Time device before. I'm curious to know if it's even possible to get the OPKG Package Manager to pull down the source and dependencies? What other hidden pitfalls are there in such a task?

I'm tempted to try this out but wanted to learn from you all before I sunk too much time into it...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,901 Views)

Hi Southern_Cross,

Your best bet is likely going to be setting up a Yocto/OE build system (which NI provides the sources used for building the base images for RT controllers on NI's github portal), and adding in the appropriate meta-ros layer into the build system as described in the ROS installation guide for OE.

Note that I said "best-bet"; I won't sugar-coat it, if you're not familiar with Yocto/OE, be prepared to do a lot of reading and learning. As it stands, the "from-source" installation requires dependencies that are not in the NI feeds (and therefore are not easily installed through opkg), so you'd be needing to either build those dependencies on the target itself or through OE anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,839 Views)

Take a look at the discussion on this group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ros-sig-rosforlabview

Message 3 of 4
(3,834 Views)

@Jeannie_Falcon wrote:

Take a look at the discussion on this group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ros-sig-rosforlabview

This is your best bet. I retract my previous comments. Thanks for the link, Jeannie_Falcon

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,830 Views)