NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Linux RT installing Abaco A429 drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I have PXIe Chassis with Embedded Controller (PXIe-8861) and Abaco A429 Card (CEI-x30) installed on it. The Embedded controller has NI Linux RTOS. I have to install the A429 drivers and libraries in NI Linux RTOS. The instruction to install the drivers is attached and it is quite simple i.e. extract and install using root privilege. I was able to extract their tgz (tar) file but I am not able to install (terminal snapshot attached) due to limited understanding of root privilege in NI Linux. Please tell me how to gain root privilege in NI Linux to install these drivers? or I am missing anything.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,548 Views)

I was able to modify the installation and make files to use "admin" instead of "root" as both are the same in NI Linux RTOS. But I am facing another issue with libelf module. I am getting the below error now due to which drivers are not installed.

‘’’

Build universal PCI driver

make -C /lib/modules/4.14.87-rt49-cg-7.0.0f0-x64-189/build SUBDIRS=/home/admin/Condor_Engineering/Drivers/3.0/pci modules

make[1]: Entering directory '/lib/modules/4.14.87-rt49-cg-7.0.0f0-x64-189/build'

Makefile:960: "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel"

CC [M]  /home/admin/Condor_Engineering/Drivers/3.0/pci/uceipci.o

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST 1 modules

CC      /home/admin/Condor_Engineering/Drivers/3.0/pci/uceipci.mod.o

LD [M]  /home/admin/Condor_Engineering/Drivers/3.0/pci/uceipci.ko

make[1]: Leaving directory '/lib/modules/4.14.87-rt49-cg-7.0.0f0-x64-189/build'

rm -f *.o *.mod.c .*.cmd

Removing driver uceipci

Successfully removed uceipci driver

‘’’

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,480 Views)

I seem to recall having a similar issue when building a driver for an AltaDT 1553 card just a week or so ago.

I don't remember if it was the exact one but as I recall it was something similar to the effect of "cannot use X, please install Y"

Running sudo -i first solved that issue by logging bash in (and keeping it logged in) as the superuser.  Then I was able to run make without issues.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,463 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TousifD

I have received a response from NI and Abaco. I am summarizing below which can be helpful for others to make decision.

The NI Linux Real-Time OS was released in the second semester of 2019 and the Abaco drivers released before that. so, the software/drivers support from Abaco has to be developed yet. Abaco mentioned that their card only supports the Phar Lap Linux and not the NI Linux RTOS (newer) and they do not have any plans to support it for a year or two. Technically, their response was the uceipci driver has issues with the LabVIEW Real-Time Linux kernel that doesn't exist with the more common RHEL Linux kernel and driver requirements. 

In summary, Ni Linux Real-Time and Abaco A429 Card (RAR-CPCI / CEI-x30) are not compatible as of date.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,364 Views)