NI Labs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to NI Labs 3D Visualization Demos

Okay, I now see what you are doing.  Unfortunately, we do not have a similar ability to this with the new 3D Graph.  To accomplish what you are asking (which I verifed the ActiveX control does indeed do), requires a pretty complex algorithm which, now that we know people are out there that could benefit from this, we may look into for the future.  Of course, you could always give a stab at it :).

Here are some links that help describe the problem and offer some algorithms:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr00/cs598b/lectures/pointclouds/pointclouds.pdf
http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/ (particularly http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/recon.pdf)

-Jonathan
Message 11 of 27
(12,984 Views)
Please, oh please, oh please.

I don't belive that I have EVER used the other graph types because of the difficutly required to arrange the points, and would much rather use a native control in the future.

The example I gave here was to display results that were measured at each point not traversed in a manner that matches a 2d array.
Another is where I used a CMM to measure the radius of a Lathed part and used a little math to sweep the radius around to display the result on the screen. I don't have the foggiest on how I would have needed to put that together w/ out the mesh.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(12,982 Views)
Jonathan,

I saw your presentation at NI week and was very anxious to look at the code.  This is really nice work!  What a fantastic example of the power of x-controls combined with the 3d picture control.   It looks as if the final target for this will be some future release of labview?  🙂  The 3d graph has been in need of some modernization for a while.  It'll be nice to have it done natively instead of the activeX control.  I also like the option you put in the shortcut menu to spawn the hardware accellerated window.  That will be handy.

I have a quick suggestion at first glance.  I might try to take a stab at it myself, but I haven't worked with x-controls very much.  It would be nice to have a "hook" somewhere to a reference to the actual 3D picture control portion of the x control.  Perhaps in the property node somwhere?  That way the user could add their own custom "objects" to the 3D scene or manually modify portions of the 3d scene.  For example if you wanted to map a bmp-jpg-png texture to one of the xy-yz-xz planes.  Is that do-able?

Message 13 of 27
(12,970 Views)

@Chris Immer wrote:

I have a quick suggestion at first glance.  I might try to take a stab at it myself, but I haven't worked with x-controls very much.  It would be nice to have a "hook" somewhere to a reference to the actual 3D picture control portion of the x control.  Perhaps in the property node somwhere?  That way the user could add their own custom "objects" to the 3D scene or manually modify portions of the 3d scene.  For example if you wanted to map a bmp-jpg-png texture to one of the xy-yz-xz planes.  Is that do-able?

Yes, this is something that we have thought about doing and it will most likely be going into the final version.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(12,957 Views)
I noticed that the Cursors, contrours and normals are not enabled yet. Is this correct?

Also it looks like different types of plots are not possible, cartesian, cylindrical and spherical.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of things enabled so far, I'm just curious as to how much more is planned to add into this. and how much will be left out.

-Norm
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(12,955 Views)
Actually cursors, contours and normals should be implemented in the version that is up on NI Labs if I am not mistaken, although cursor dragging may be a bit buggy. They should have tabs in the property pages.

As for plotting in cylindrical and spherical coordinates, that is something we are looking into doing but I can't make any guarantees at this point.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(12,960 Views)
I saw the cursor appear, but could not move it. Also it appeared 'through' the plot. which shouln't be possible as it's confusing to where it is.
Also, I saw the tabs and options for normals, and contours, but nothing happened.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(12,957 Views)
The contour and normals should both work, they just take a little setting up to make them show up properly.

For contours on the plot we provided you should be able to display them by checking "Draw", "On?" set to Z-Axis, and the following parameters (Start:-50,End 80, Step 3)

Normals can be displayed if you check "Draw" on, make their length .05 and give them a width of 1 for the plot we provided.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(12,938 Views)
The native 3D graph looks like a promising alternative to the current ActiveX 3D graphs I'm currently using; however, there are two essential features that I haven't found: logrithmic axis scaling and the ability to specify color/value pairs for the surface plot intensity levels.  These features are both required for presenting my vibration data.  Thanks for the open forum for discussing new features.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(12,834 Views)

I had a look at the Software.vi example on how to place sensors on a mesh model.

I cannot work out how to implement (it's locked in the express VI) point selection by right-click on the 3d picture control.

does anyone have any suggestions or an example vi I can take inspiration from?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(11,959 Views)