NI Labs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to NI Labs 3D Visualization Demos

The purpose of the two demos contained in this package is to demonstrate the versatility of the 3D picture control by showing practical use cases in two different domains.

First, is an example that shows how one can create their own 3D graph as an alternative to using the ActiveX 3D graph.  One of the several advantages of this, is that through using the 3D picture control one now has the ability to take 3D graphs cross-platform.

The idea behind the second demo is to allow a user to place sensors across some pre-defined model, and then to see how those sensors react to dynamic data.  This demo shows two distinct uses of the 3D picture control: one, as an interactive interface in which to construct some parameters, and two, as a way to visualize the model's response to the data.

If you have any questions just respond to this thread, as I will be checking it regularly.

Have fun!

-Jonathan Meyer
Message 1 of 27
(25,325 Views)
I can't seem to find anything related in ni labs web site. Do you have a link to the download?

Here's something I want to do in the future, but I don't quite know how to start:

I have a 3D array of values representing a volume and I want to graph isosurfaces in 3D. Is there an easy implementation already available?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(25,315 Views)
Ah.  It doesn't seem to be up yet.  I believe it will be shortly.

To answer your question there is currently no easy way to create isosurfaces using the 3D picutre control.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(25,311 Views)

@jmeyer wrote:
Ah.  It doesn't seem to be up yet.  I believe it will be shortly.

Still nothing.....
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(25,294 Views)
Yes.  Sorry about this.  It's in the hands of the NI Labs team, and I believe they are doing their final validation on it.  I'll post here again once it's actually available.  Sorry about the wait.

-Jonathan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(25,290 Views)
Will this allow me to do a 'Mesh' Plot?
This capability is available in the activeX control but not exposed through the NI VIs, but I have found this infinetly useful as my data is not always arranged nicely so that it will fit/arrange well within a 2d array of data.

For more clarification, the MeshPlot will do a connect the dots on the closest points, where the other surface plots require the data to be arranged in order in the 2d array
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(25,280 Views)
Well, first off, the lab is now live.

To answer your question, well, unfortunately, I don't think I quite understand what you are describing.  Could you post an example?

-Jonathan
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(25,274 Views)

This is my example, the x,y,and z are all paired up properly, but definetly not in any particular order
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(25,267 Views)

@jmeyer wrote:
Well, first off, the lab is now live.

The installer is very confusing:

First it asks for an install folder (default "C:\Program Files\3DPC_SurfacePlot\"), but if I OK that, nothing will be installed in that location. It seems part of the files are in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\Native 3D Graph" and below. Why would it suggest that location?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(25,262 Views)
I agree, the installer is terribly confusing.  I'm not sure why it's asking you to install in the suggested directory.  My suggestion is to ignore this step.  If you choose that directory in which to install, the installer will still install everything in the correct location (which, as it turns out, means that it puts nothing in the suggested directory).  After the installer has run, there should be a new directory under your installed 8.5 directory called 'Native 3D Graph', which is where the demo for the 3D Graph should lie, as the documentation should note.  The other demo should be located under the user.lib/_express directory under your installed 8.5 directory.  Let me know if this is not the case.  Sorry for the confusion.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(25,244 Views)