From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Labs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to EtherNet/IP Driver for Communication to Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLCs

Eric,

We have tried to set the IP address to 10.10.20.20,1,0...10.10.20.20,1,1...10.10.20.20,0,0...10.10.20.20,8,0...

Is it possible that the backplane is named something different whether a number or an actuall name?

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 193
(12,668 Views)

Eric,

I tried to run a cycle with the E/IP in my program but I received a "not supported" message.

I have attatched a picture of the error. 

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 193
(12,665 Views)

Adam,

What does your PLC configuration look like (what controller, what backplane, which slot if the controller in, etc)?

Regarding the "not supported" message, I believe you need to download an updated target image onto your Smart Camera with Ethernet/IP support (in addition to installing the support locally on your PC). The images should be labeled "with EtherNet/IP support" or similar.

-Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 193
(12,662 Views)

Eric,

I transmitted the Smart Camera with Ethernet/IP.zip to the camera about 1 hour ago...turns out that's all I had to do and now I can communicate great.

Thanks for all of your help.

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 193
(12,659 Views)

I am trying to read an array of strings from a ControlLogix processor and I don't see a way to specify the number of elements when choosing the Tag Read STRING function.  Is there something that I am missing with respect to reading an array that has sub element data types?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 193
(12,561 Views)

Hi Wiliam,

Currently the String interface does not support reading an array of strings. You must read each one individually (you can access them via StringTagName[N]). You can however, read multiple individual elements in parallel on your block diagram and get a speedup that way.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 193
(12,554 Views)

Eric G.

I am having problems communicating with a CompactLogix L35E.  After reading som eof the above discussions I am going to try again.  The biggest problem is syntax errors on tags.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

WD Maas

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 193
(12,512 Views)

WD,

In general the tag name just matches the syntax RSLogix5000 calls the item when you drill down into the sub-item you want. If you could include a screenshot of the tag in RSLogix it may be helpful.

Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 193
(12,506 Views)

Eric,

I have another issue.  The computer I am communicating from has two network cards in it, one for my company's netranet and one for the PLC communication.  How can I make sure that the appropriate card is being accessed.  I cannot disable the intranet card since it communicates with the network and also allows me to go outside to communicate with ni.

WD Maas

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 193
(12,501 Views)

WD,

The driver should use the operating system's network stack to determine which network interface to inititate the request from based on the remote IP address you are sending the request to. This should be transparent to the application. Is this not working correctly for you or is it just a question?

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 193
(12,498 Views)