NI Labs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C Interface to LabVIEW FPGA

Hi,

Is is possible to use the shared memory blocks ("Memory Read" and "Memory Write" VIs) from C interface?

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 79
(8,059 Views)

Another question:

Can I use the FPGA both from LabView and C code at the same time? By C code I mean a C library that is called from within LabView.

Is the LabView FPGA session same as the session number for the C api?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 79
(8,051 Views)
sparkymark567,

NI LabWindows™/CVI is a great option for C development on Windows and PXI/PXIe Real-Time systems. For CompactRIO and Single-Board RIO systems, please see the Wind River Workbench or GNU Toolchain options mentioned by captain_only.

jpa_,

Memory Read and Memory Write are only available inside your FPGA VI, which is consistent with the existing FPGA Interface in LabVIEW. You cannot directly access this memory from a host application, but you can manually pass this information through a control, indicator, or FIFO.

You can open FPGA sessions from both LabVIEW and C at the same time, so long as they use the same bitfile. If you try to open a second session with a different bitfile (and therefore different signature), you will get an error.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 79
(8,027 Views)

Hi kentyman,

You are right, I was a bit confused about the memory blocks thing. It is now resolved.

I also managed to use the FPGA session simultaneously. Turns out that LabView copies the bitstream file to the project directory only after the VI has been run for the first time; therefore I was using the old file and received the Invalid argument error.

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 79
(8,017 Views)

Hello,

I got an C Interface for LVFPGA.zip file from NILABs, and I try to use it with cRIO. I refer the Getting started documents. It worte "use Generate C FPGA Interface.vi to regenerate the .h and .bin file" but, I could not find it in the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI Labs C FPGA Interface folder. I tried to install it another computer, it also has not that vi. Could you help me to find it??

Regards,

Changhee

FSE in KOREA.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 79
(8,001 Views)

changhee,

It sounds like you may have an older version of the installer. The latest version of the Getting Started document should reference .lvbitx files instead of .bin files. Also, in this version, you run capigen.exe rather than a VI. Try uninstalling your previous version, then re-download and install the latest version.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 79
(7,999 Views)
I just downloaded the software and am curious how soon examples can be made available which utilize the new FIFO and interrupt capabilities.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 79
(7,981 Views)

harBenger,

We should be able to get some examples in the next couple weeks. Until then, please refer to the included documentation. Also, the functions are basically ports of the LabVIEW FPGA Interface methods, so the LabVIEW documentation may also be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 79
(7,933 Views)

Thanks. Do you have any idea how easy it will be to integrate this interface into Visual Studio.NET? 

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 79
(7,870 Views)
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the FPGA Interface C API 1.0 has released! You can get it by installing NI-RIO 3.2 and greater. NI-RIO 3.2.1 can be found by searching for "NI-RIO" on http://www.ni.com/downloads/, or by following this link:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1386/lang/en

After installing the latest NI-RIO, you can find the FPGA Interface C API and its documentation under the National Instruments>>NI-RIO folder in your Start Menu. Additionally, you can launch the C API Generator by right-clicking your FPGA VI in the LabVIEW project and selecting "Generate C API...".

Due to incompatibilities between the NI Labs release and the 1.0 release, we recommend that you uninstall the NI Labs C FPGA Interface from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel. Additionally, we recommend reformatting and reinstalling NI-RIO on any Real-Time controllers which ran the NI Labs version. Finally, any .lvbitx files created using the NI Labs release should no longer be used, as the file format is no longer correct. Instead, you should use LabVIEW FPGA 2009 to create "real" .lvbitx files.

On behalf of National Instruments, I'd like to personally thank everyone who has downloaded and tried the NI Labs release of this feature. Your feedback has been invaluable for creating and completing version 1.0!
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 79
(7,863 Views)