From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Labs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW support for FMI for Model Exchange

Please use this thread for discussion of LabVIEW Support for FMI for Model Exchange.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,026 Views)

Hello,

How does this differ from the existing 3rd party add-on? (except for the Co-Simulation and VeriStand Support difference)

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/nl/nid/212841 

Thanks for your feedback!

Thierry

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Thierry,

I think you hit the main differences, but I will lay it out here anyway:

1. The VeriStand add-on you mention is produced by a third-party company, and is an officially supported, non-free product. 

This NI Labs project is produced by NI, but is not an officially supported product (see the NI Labs charter on the main page.) Also, this NI Labs project is free.

2. The VeriStand add-on you mentioned is used to make FMI models accessible to VeriStand and to the Model Interface Toolkit. The ODE solver is fixed stepsize.

This NI Labs project imports the FMI models into the Control and Simulation Loop, allowing the use of a full range of ODE solvers, both fixed stepsize and variable stepsize.

3. The VeriStand add-on can load Co-simulation models as well as Model exchange.

This NI Labs project can only load Model Exchange FMU's, for now.

4. The VeriStand add-on claims to support real-time targets.

This NI Labs project does not claim that.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Hello Greg,

Apparently my browser kind of messed up the link..

Thanks for the feedback!

This was the answer I was looking for.

Kind Regards,

Thierry

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Hello everybody,

it is nice to have such a tool to import FMU–models to LabView.

The problem is we would like to perform an export of our controller via FMU from LabView to import the FMU-model of the controller in another program.

Is there any AddOn from LabView or a third party program which makes this possible?

Thanks allot for Help.

Kind regard,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Martin,

I do not know of any currently available tool that can produce an FMU from LabVIEW code.

We are currently researching this workflow in NI R&D, but I can't say when it will be available.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Hello Greg

I'm making the first trials with this add-on.

Nice, it works for now!

But I found a bug:

When you build a FMU out of Dymola from a Model which is inserted in packeges, then the input and output connectors are not working in Labview.

Also the name of the FMU-Block in Labview is not automatically changed to the name of the FMU.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Hi GregMo and company, how's this tool going? Is it being updated?

I've set things up and gone through the tutorial successfully, but I've tried to create my own FMU using an OpenModelica 1.12 release for Linux and haven't been able to make it work (I also tried Dymola 2017 and the same OpenModelica on Windows but had even more frustrating results).

When trying to instantiate the FMU inside the control and simulation loop with the EMI block, y VI breaks with the following error:

Error -2367 occurred at External Model
Possible reason(s):
Control Design and Simulation:  The shared library corresponding to the external model returned an error.
EMI_CB_ModelInterface: Could not load FMU

I'm attaching both the Modelica file (uses MSL 3.2.2) and the exported FMU in case somebody can take a look and provide some guidance. Here's a screenshot of the model:

simpleRC.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,802 Views)