From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Community News

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Inactive User Groups and Blogs to be Archived

LiliMcDonald
NI Employee (retired)

AnnouncementBanner.png

UPDATE: We've had overwhelming amount of feedback regarding our plan to archive user groups. At this time, we have decided to migrate all user groups over accordingly and will perform a thorough audit at a later date. No further action is needed at this time.

As you may know, the NI Community is currently undergoing some major renovations. We're creating a single, unified NI Community, as well as updating the look. During these renovations, we will be migrating the content and experiences -- documents, user groups, and blogs -- from the NI User Group Community onto the platform currently used to host the NI Discussion Forums.

As a part of this effort, we have performed an audit on the 1,600 user groups and 200 blogs found in the NI User Group Community. We reviewed all user groups and blogs that had no activity for more than 6 months, only had 1 or 2 members, or had no content at all. We then verified which of these groups and blogs are now inactive. We want our renovated community to provide the best experience to our users and therefore, archiving inactive groups and blogs is necessary to ensure our freshest and most used content is easily found.

Any inactive user groups or blogs will be archived during our migration starting on August 5th. The inactive groups and blogs will no longer be available after the migration. If you are the owner of a user group or blog that will be archived, you will be receiving an email from the NI Community team.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any concerns.

~~~~~~~~~
Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

We reviewed all user groups and blogs that had no activity for more than 6 months, only had 1 or 2 members, or had no content at all.

It seems to me that the actual criteria used were quite different.

For example my group Nonlinear Fittiing does not fit (no pun!) a single one of these criteria, but is on the list to be archived. I think somebody needs to check the algorithm, there is probably a bug in the implementation.

I encourage everyone to check their groups and see if the falsely landed on that list.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Is it possible the criteria was no discussion activity for more than 6 months?  I went in there and saw there was only 1 message that was 5 years old.  But I do see where you have a handful of documents with two of them within the last 3 months.  I agree with you that the group did have recent activity, just that whoever did a search set their criteria up wrong.

altenbach
Knight of NI

My group does not need discussions and they are discouraged with the group settings (partly to avoid noise and spam). The group is set for members only, so if you want to participate, you need to join. The documents are mostly read-only and don't require discussions.

I would be happy to archive all content and set it up freshly in the new system (even cleaning up certain things), but it would be much easier if it could transition so I can freshen it at a later time, especially if existing links can be kept.

I occasionally link to it from the forum when discussing nonlinear fitting, so it is a good resource, eliminating regurgitating the same old content all over the place. The purpose is deduplication, not active discussion! It would be very important if the old links would redirect to the new place, wherever that is...

LiliMcDonald
NI Employee (retired)

We've had overwhelming amount of feedback regarding our plan to archive user groups. At this time, we have decided to migrate all user groups over accordingly and will perform a thorough audit at a later date. No further action is needed at this time.

~~~~~~~~~