Community Browser
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meet NI Engineer Yurui Chen

‎02-20-2017 01:14 PM
‎02-20-2017 01:14 PM

When do you first recall wanting to become an engineer?

Well, this is too long ago before I can remember… My father himself has been working as an engineer for more than 35 years now. Since I was young, he influenced me to think logically and practice carefully. After years of this, I got curious about world, so I started to learn some basic science like Astronomy, physics and math. Later on I quickly noticed that science is about getting to know the world, and engineering is about changing the world with your own hands based on science. I guess it was 14 when I first wanted to be an engineer.

How long have you been at NI and how did you get here?

NI was my first job right after graduate school; it's been 5 years now. In school, I was impressed by NI’s engineering capabilities, which can solve a broad range of industries - from rocket science to CERN, from semiconductor to mobile devices. I was very happy to join NI after school so that I can be part of this. It turns out I made the right decision to join, getting cutting-edge information first hand from industry leading customers at a test & measurement company, who needs to make sure the success of world’s frontier companies. The most amazing part is I can get the cutting edge information even from multiple industries, from 5G to IoT. So I've had an enriched experience at NI.

What's been your favorite project at NI?

Helping customers succeed is always the fun part in my work. Recently we helped the very first commercial satellite company in China make sure their first a few satellites successfully launched into the space. The project was so critical: they could bear no mistake because they only had one chance to send the satellite up. The rocket launching time was set, so they had to do sufficient testing within very limited time. I’m happy that NI’s platform and local engineering resources made that happen. 

Satelite Images.png

This year's theme is "Dream Big." Engineers engage their creativity and technical know-how to transform dreams into reality. What's your big dream?

My big dream in engineering would be to build a "thinking-to-writing" machine, which can be translated into any language. You'd just need to think something, the machine would translate it into written text, and send it wherever you want. 

If a student asked you why they should pursue engineering, what would you say to inspire them?

Just try to build a radio, cellphone, and then a smart robot on your own. You’re gonna love it when you start from scratch, learn from failure, and finally adjust to success. With your own hands, you can feel real that you are making life better. 

About Engineers Week

Engineers Week - the only event of its kind - is a time to:

• Celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world
  • Increase public dialogue about the need for engineers
  • Bring engineering to life for kids, educators, and parents

This post is a part of a series highlighting engineers from NI and their stories about how and why they became engineers.

See other interviews with NI engineers >>>

#eweek2017 on Twitter >>>