Community Browser
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Investing in Software to Meet Your Growing Needs - LabVIEW, Programming Optional?

Active Participant Jeffrey_P
Active Participant
‎04-17-2017 07:00 AM
‎04-17-2017 07:00 AM

Our lifetime has seen an incredible amount of technological advancement and our kids’ will likely have an order of magnitude more. This rapid pace of technological advancement is to be celebrated and embraced – it fuels amazing new technologies and scientific achievements that make us more connected, safer, and pushes the limits of what we previously thought possible. The impact of these achievements is no longer isolated to a single industry – it permeates every industry and exposes the established market incumbents to an unusual combination of disruption and growth potential. 

The pressure and the challenge to drive business impact is daunting in this climate – how do you grow while making large investments into the next wave of technologies without dramatically changing your business model? Companies are watching their operational costs balloon as they dip their toes into numerous areas of investment that require significant and often disparate expertise and investment. Meanwhile, small startups with incredible focus and no prior obligations can leverage new technologies in ways that established competitors struggle to respond to. 

So, how do you protect yourself from disruption? It all boils down to one simple question: do you feel secure in your future with the tools that you’re using? Whether it’s your personal finances, your career, or the engineering systems of the future, your tools need to help ensure that security.

For the last forty years and for decades to come, we aim to enable engineers to take advantage of the latest technologies, whether that be a measurement device, a processor architecture, or integrating a new software language. We continually and increasingly invest in our software to balance the needs and expectations of long-time users, newly-graduated engineers, programming experts, and programming novices.

LabVIEW has always been seen as a programming language, but the initial vision for the product was to abstract the concept of programming and enable engineers to interact with real-world hardware to automate measurements without the burden of writing code. As LabVIEW became more popular in sophisticated production test and embedded applications, professional coding frameworks became necessary. But, bringing the productivity of the graphical approach to more engineers continues to be a key investment arc for LabVIEW.

LabVIEW_NIWeek_Twitter.jpg

This year, like every year, we’ll be unveiling new products at NIWeek (Spoiler Alert: NIWeek is in May) and these announcements will be meaningful demonstrations of our investment in LabVIEW and our broader software portfolio.

Come to NIWeek or sign up for the LiveStream to witness firsthand how these investments will bring the power of graphical programming to more engineers – programming optional.

Comments
Member desktoplabs

I'm fortunate to identify LabVIEW as an implementation of the Scientific Method when it first appeared in 1986.  It was a black and white bitmapped program but had all the important elements of dataflow and visual layered loops.  While it's described in many ways, what's not often noticed is why LabVIEW is so natural, and why it so naturally enhances science and engineering.  A clue is the division between front panel and diagram.  There is a surface then there is the depth.  This leads to critical thinking.  Deep learning.  To understand LabVIEW at its most intimate one needs to understand both the teachings of the Swedish Psychologist Carl Jung and the Scientific Method.  Jung understands the subconscious, and knows we are visual creatures, hence the natural success of icons and visual programming.  The Scientific Method is the best tool of reason.  The iterative Hypothesis – Test – Evaluate is exactly what LabVIEW facilitates.  It is an iterative process, not a one time effort.  Patel writes that Science is Creativity that can be verified.  Here, as the engineer knows, problem is both practical and creative.

Over time LabVIEW has grown to include all sorts of "methods" (Objective, MatLab, etc.), and yet the common elements are exactly as they were in 1986.  And that's good.  

Member williamlweaver

I understand that NI simply does not have the support staff required to field questions from all of the humans on earth, but I introduce programming to my college freshmen using LabVIEW. We spend the first half of the semester using DC electronics as a physical metaphor for System Flow, Input, Output, Serial/Parallel Configuration, and Component Analysis. After Spring Break, we add LabVIEW and the students immediately see the natural connection between current flow and information flow. An increasing number of freshmen have worked with LabVIEW in their FIRST Robotics clubs in high school, but often do not recognize it as a General Purpose development language.

Gosh I would love to see more LabVIEW in K-12 programs as a first programming language. I'm pretty sure I still have my plastic flow-charting template from high school somewhere. Visualizing flow saved me stacks and stacks of punch cards. In 2017, visualizing flow is the foundation upon which our undergraduate major develops strong collaboration, integration, and innovation teams. 

Anxious to learn how LabVIEW continues to evolve!

=]

Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Lots of fancy words. What do they mean?

Iterative process=waterfall model?

Srsly?

Is NI marketing getting onto gear for NI week? As someone with a keen interest in psychology and LabVIEW im a little underwhelmed by the meat on this article.

I'm currently on my second Guinness so interpret accordingly.

I'm coming across overly critical again right? Smiley Sad