Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non ideal battery and PV panel problems

Hey Guys,

So I've been working on a buck circuit for a little while, it forms part of an arduino based MPPT solar charger im building.

Initially I had issues with trying to model the solar panel and the rechargable battery. As for some reason my Power Pro ed, doesnt have a non ideal battery, so I was banging my head against the wall about other methods to do it, until  I came to the forums for a quick search and found a good existing example; which Is attached at the bottom (24V charger2). Apparently just copying the component off another schematic works.

However, in my simulation the non ideal battery literally just already max's out at 24V as soon as I turn the circuit on. I just cant mimic the Panel input right and i've gone through so many different attempts. If anyone would mind having a look over the circuit and just point out anything obvious ive missed, these are the specs im trying to get to:

PV panel input: 0-37v, 0-8A, (those are absolute maximums, nominal is 30V, 7A @ max sunlight)

12V output

110AH - 9.5ohm, Although I have been simulating with a lower AH for testing.

Robet

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,440 Views)

Hi Robet,

I've tried running your Multisim Designs on my system, however I'm not seeing the issue you mentioned. The voltage on the non-ideal battery goes up to 12V after a couple of seconds when I start the simulation.

From what I can tell, you are running this on Multisim 11.0 correct? Is it possible to try it on a Multisim version later than version 11.0?

Regards,

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,374 Views)

Hi Mitch,

Indeed I am running MS11. I can get access to MS13, so I will test both on that shortly. When you say the battery charges after a few seconds, is that on both circuits? or one in particular?

I'll post again after I try it on MS13.

Robet

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,361 Views)

Hi Robet,

Sorry for the delay. 

I was referring to the ProjectV3.ms11 design. Apologies for not not clarifying earlier.

Anyway, to be more precise, after some testing I found that ProjectV3 in Multisim 14 took about 3 minutes or so to charge up to 12V, while Mutlisim 13 took about 8 seconds, strangely.

I've tried testing the 24 Charger2.ms11 project, but I've found that with both versions, I was not able to fully charge the non-ideal batteries, I kept running into errors after about 1.5 hours in to running the simulations. It only got up to about 14V, if I recall correctly, before it throws an error.

Have you tried running your projects on Multisim 13 yet? Perhaps if you are able to, would you be able to test your projects on Multisim 14 as well?

Regards,

Mitch

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,277 Views)