Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multisim10_cmos4060_oscillator

quite long time ago i use Electronics WorkBench v4/v5, i did like it very much, was very logical approach to design and to Vcc,Vss,GND connections 😄

now I'm trying to run 4060(15V powered) with crystal osc...and I can't, i did browse Documentation/Getting started...haven't found answer there...

so something went wrong...

don't understand 'new' (probably better approach), can't imagine why it get more complicated..

can't spend time to read all manuals to sort it out,

can anybody please explain me what is wrong with this schematic ?

sch.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,448 Views)

Hi

First of all lets start with the circuit itself - do you have any documentation about this chip that you want to simulate? An application note showing a standard way of connecting it would be best. I think the problem might be in circuit configuration itself. For instance you didn't wire any capacitor to CTC input- areyou sure this is correct?
What do you mean by 'new approach'?

Regards

Best regards,
Maciej Antonik
National Instruments Poland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(9,423 Views)
thx _4 answer, as i said in tag when i try to run simulation without  CTC connected anywhere (as it supposed to be when we use crystal resonator (pin 9 is
not-gate_out)) multisim says -error simulation not started properly, restart...
and as i said i did 'left' this software... i have installed try of NI multisim 11, an i did apply patch to 11.0.2, now i can run simulation on this software
without pin9 connected, but can't notice any circulations on output of 4060 !??
'other' simulator can run it without any problem,
"...mean by 'new approach'?" -i'm a bit ironic here about way of setting 0/1 levels by placing vcc/dgnd, and then use gnd as gnd..
osc.png
, and the "new" schematic:
sch2.png

serdecznie pozdrawiam. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,400 Views)

what more I can say...I've done some exercises,

the osc below was working fine (was generating square wave continuously) until I have placed 4060 on this simulation...now it stops doing so after two pulses:

sch.png   

but on this latest sw_ver + patch  I've got working 4060 !!:

sch2.png

but if I connect pin 9 (out of not gate not divided by ripple...) , nothing on ripple -counter outputs presents... oscilloscope input drains-out signal ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(9,377 Views)

here is a pic of it:

sch3.png

any explanation please ? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(9,375 Views)

&& here comes latest news:

-when I removed  separate gen on nand's:

sch4.png 

all I have done is: select group of nand osc and pressed 'delete', even after saving, restarting app...still the same!

for me it look like simulator works when it feels like to work.. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(9,358 Views)

Hello,

Could you please send us your circuit for further troubleshooting? Just to confirm your Multisim version go to Help>>About Multisim. What's the exact version?

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(9,256 Views)

Hello .

I'm french , sorry for my  "  english" .

Just a remarqu about oscillators and sofware of simulation as Ni and others .

When you make an oscillator , a concrete , in the real life , for exemple an astable oscillator with 2 transistors ,2 base résistors , 2 collectors resistors , 2 capacitors , you have never in these pairs of components the same value , there are never exactly  equal ....

With a simulator it's different  if you choose 2x  2N2222 , you have 2 components perfectly equals ...the same for resistors , capacitors ...

So when you start simulation , nothing  is happening .  

Many solutions  :

- make this oscillator with components as resistors and capacitors with differents value , exemple one resistor collector equal 4.7 k Ohms and the other with 4.65 k Ohms , the same thing with capacitors ...perhap's nothing happen yet .

- so add a switch in the circuit that you can switch during the simulation , or a pulse ( adjuste the duration with the circuit , one microsecond  or more )  with a capacitor in serie  in this case on the base of transistor ... so the  silent oscillator  begin to oscillate .

Before  I had difficulties with oscillators as astables , quartz oscillators, as Colpitts oscillators and others ,  as you on your scheme ......after some nights of reflexion  ,  the top remarks resolve the problem

Sometime just a pulse of +5V during 1 microsecond is enought .

Try , and send me your remarks .

Bests regards .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(9,191 Views)

Hi there, yep, not a problem...

ver.png 

_osc.ms11 -working oscillator...

_osc2.ms11  -what happens when u select group of nand based part and delete it...

br. janek_xxx 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,159 Views)

thx for that...

but with those so predictable and well-known circuits  (oscillators and especially integrated ones in chip (like 4060)) easy to figure out what is wrong/not right

but when u design something new, on such commercial software....u should relay on something (like algos in properly working simulation software)  

don't u think so ? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(9,158 Views)