From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multisim - list component locations in database

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to include in the schematic component list the exact location (or at least, which database) the components came from?  The Family column doesn't help if the same family exists in both User and Corporate databases.  My company has a policy of only using components from the Corporate Database in a new design.  I want to double-check some completed schematics and make sure there aren't any components from a User Database.  The only way I can do it now is to check properties for each component, because the exact location is listed in the Values tab.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I've got a few hundred components on the schematic, and it's going to take a long time if I have to check them one at a time.  Thanks.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,922 Views)

Hello m22oswald,

Until now I have not seen any way to do what you require except than by using the “In Use List” on the toolbar. This specifies all the components that are used on the project. If you place the mouse over the component, you will be able to see the database to which it is part of.

Please let me know if this might be a satisfactory way for you; if not, I will try to seek another way we might be able to do so. On the following link you will be able to see the user manual for Multisim (you can search for the In Use List):

• ni.com/pdf/manuals/374483d.pdf

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374483d.pdf

Thank you very much for your question.

Regards,

Luis C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,901 Views)

Thanks so much for the help Luis.  That's definitely better than nothing, but is there any way to export that information?  If there was, it would be perfect.  What I was thinking about doing was adding the prefix "C_" to every family in the corporate database.  That would work for newly-placed components, but would something like that propogate back to existing designs?  I haven't tried it yet, but if you can think of a different trick I'd love to hear it.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,898 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author m22oswald

Hello m22oswald,

Also, you can go to Tools > Update components. This should prompt you a list of the components with some properties, which one of them is the Database.

I do not see a way to export the information, but at least you will be able to see the list.

Regards,

Luis C.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,879 Views)

Luis, that's perfect.  Listing it like that makes it very easy to see, at a glance, where each component is.  It would be nice if I could export the list, but that's not critical.  Thanks so much for your help.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,841 Views)

Be aware that if a component name has changed or that component no longer exists in the database then the Update Components will just ignore it completely.

This will mean you could be using components in designs that don't exist anywhere. Or potentially if they are in someone else's user database then I expect these components will be ignored too. I may be wrong, if so then let me know.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,576 Views)