Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving a part in Ultiboard detaches the connected trace

Hello I am using Ultiboard 9 and moving a via or a part that has traces attached causes the traces to detach from the part. In other PCB packages, moving a connected part also maintains the trace connections. After the part is placed in its new location, all that is left to do is to clean up the trace routing. I do have the "Global Preferences/PCB Design/Component Drag/Reroute after move" box checked. After moving the part or via, I have to draw a trace to reconnect the via/pin to the broken trace, which doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to delete the whole trace, redo it and drop a new via, despite the fact that the trace, via or component pin are on the same net. This is frustrating. Is there a way to fix this? Rip up and re-do to move a component seems to be an ancient way of doing things. This anomaly is the default install behavior of Ultiboard 9. Thank you for any assistance anyone may be able to offer. Alan Winnipeg, CANADA.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,567 Views)

Hi Alan,

One thing you can try is to right click your tace and in the Track Properties, go to the General tab and under Autorouter Settings, select Trace can be Moved. What happens when you move a part is that the auto router kicks in. If the trace is fixed, it will not move it.

Please try this and let me know how it works out.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,536 Views)

Hello Tayyab

I made all of the traces on the board moveable and there was no change in the behavior of moving the parts. The part moved but the traces did not.  The RatsNest lines appeared from the trace to the pads of the moved part, as expected.

Version 9 Pro only has an autorouter for 2 layers. The Pro 9 suite did not come with the multi-layer autorouter which I expected to get when I bought Version 8 (later upgraded to Version 9).

-Al

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,529 Views)