cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get 24LC65 in multisim? (urgent)

Hi all, I am new in this field of electronics

I'm working on a school project...

I am linking up a PIC16F84a with an External EEPROM 24LC65,

which I plan to use MULTISIM to simulate and test the circuit.

HOWEVER, i cannot find the 24LC65 external EEPROM in the "component" section of the MULTISIM.

PLease help, as this is URGENT!

Do i draw it out myself????

if YES, how do i do that? (please provide helpful links that gives step-by-stpe guidance)

if NO, then what should i do?

thanks. awaiting your helpful replies asap!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,520 Views)

Hello,

The PIC16F84A can only work with the RAM/ROM components included in the MCU group. You can create the 24LC65 component using the Component Wizard but just for schematic capture and layout. 

There are some EPROMs in the Misc Digital Group, MEMORY Family, however they are not simulatable.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,479 Views)

Hi Sir Fernando,

I thank you for your reply, however I do not quite understand what you meant.

Re: how to get 24LC65 in multisim? (urgent
Hello,

The PIC16F84A can only work with the RAM/ROM components included in the MCU group. You can create the 24LC65 component using the Component Wizard but just for schematic capture and layout. 

There are some EPROMs in the Misc Digital Group, MEMORY Family, however they are not simulatable

You mentioned that I can use the Component Wizard to create the 24LC65, I DID that.
I drew and placed all the pins, but then, the Wizard required me to include a SPICE CODE for this component.
Q1) I DO NOT KNOW what is the SPICE CODE...?

Q2) You said that the eprom are not simulatable, then what is their purpose?
Q3) Multisim allows me to draw up and connect up a circuitry right? [YES/NO]
Q4) Which also means for simulations right? [YES/NO]

Q5) Referring to the MCU group, is there a EXTERNAL EEPROM that you may suggest?

Q6) What would you do if you were in my shoes?  (kindly advise)

Thank you sir.Fernando for your reply.
Always appreciative and grateful towards your kind and patient help.
Hope to hear from you soon

nutty

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,451 Views)

Hello,

First of all, there are 3 categories of components in Multisim: virtual, real and layout-only, please read the following document for more details:

Understanding Multisim's Component Colors 

To sum up: 

• Virtual component. Can be used for simulation (contains a SPICE model). Cannot be transferred to Ultiboard for the layout.
  • Real component. Can be used for simulation. Can be transferred to Ultiboard.
  • Layout only component. Cannot be used for simulation (does not contain SPICE model). Can be transferred to Ultiboard.

SPICE model: A SPICE model is a text-description of a circuit component used by simulator to mathematically predict the behavior of that part under varying conditions.

In you case you can create a layout only component (make sure you select this option in Step 1 of the Component Wizard), however you will not be able to simulate this component (a SPICE model for the 24LC65 is not available).

Here are the answers to your questions:

Q1) I DO NOT KNOW what is the SPICE CODE...? See above.

Q2) You said that the eprom are not simulatable, then what is their purpose? The EPROMS inlcuded in Multisim (in the Misc Digital Group) are layout only components.
Q3) Multisim allows me to draw up and connect up a circuitry right? [YES/NO] Yes
Q4) Which also means for simulations right? [YES/NO] Yes, if the component is virtual or real.

Q5) Referring to the MCU group, is there a EXTERNAL EEPROM that you may suggest? In the MCU group there are EPROMs that you can use.

Q6) What would you do if you were in my shoes?  (kindly advise). Try to use the EPROMs included in the MCU group. You can also refer to the shipping examples in Multisim (File>>Open Samples>>MCU Sample Circuits).

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 4 of 4
(3,439 Views)