From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hierarchical block edit doesn't preserve sections in a component

I'm working on a design with six identical circuits that I have set up as hierarchical blocks.  When I edited the  block and grouped the sections of components together how they should be it did not update in the other HB instances.

In order to get the update to occur I had to delete each block and re-create it in the main schematic.  Kind of a pain when you have a bunch of bus lines all hooked up to the blocks.

Doesn't that sound like a bug?

MS 11.0.1

Win XP

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,203 Views)

Hi,

If you create a hierarchical schematic that will be use several times in a larger design, if you want to change your schematic such as replacing a certain component from a dual to a quad package, you must update in the hierarchical schematic by itself, once you do that, the larger design will update automatically.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,183 Views)

This is not true.  I had to change an amplifier in my HB.  Even though I arranged all the sections in the directly edited HB file,  it totally scrambled my section assignments in the main schematic. I looks like I have to go through every instance and redo the sections assignment manually.  

In addition to this it trashed my symbols and mixed up the pin placements.  

The pins that got moved now will no longer move to the same grid points when I edit the symbol, and they don't line up with the schematic lines anymore.  That is just a cosmetic issue, but irritating.

What a pain, hours to fix, just to change a part number.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,157 Views)

Also, the renumber setup for HB's is lost if you make changes in the HB.  I've had to re-do that about 5 times now.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,155 Views)

dbur,

The issue was supposed to be addressed in v11 but I do understand there are still some major bugs with HBs and messing up reference designator mappings.  I have requested an updated from R&D to see what type of timeline we can put on getting this addressed once and for all.

If you haven't done so already, please fill out a service request and we can address this on an individual basis.

I am finding that as it currently stands, using flat multi-page designs is much more reliable than HB designs when it comes to preserving refdes and mapping information.   So for professional customers using layout, I'd much rather see you spend the time to convert these HB designs into flat multi-page designs rather than go through the headache of having to redo these refdes anytime there is an update to a HB.  

HB do have their usefulness but until this is addressed I don't see the benefit of having to go through these issues.   I'll update this thread when I get a response from R&D.

Pat Noonan

Business Development Manager
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,128 Views)

Thanks for your frank assessment of the situation.

Unfortunately, it's stone age to not be able to use HB/SC designs for multichannel projects.  Almost like drafting with a pencil and paper again, or laying traces with colored tape, a light table and a magnifying glass.  I'm sure your competitors could get a lot of mileage out of a deficiency like this is your product.

Please take my $1500 support fee for this year and fix this, pronto.  Smiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,124 Views)

dbur,

I have passed your feedback along to our R&D team.   Please feel free to email me directly any additional comments or feedback.

Regards,

Pat Noonan

National Instruments

patrick.noonan@ni.com

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,105 Views)