From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with diode load

Hi,

In the attached circuit, i have 2 diodes used for isolating the charge on the capacitor C2 which will be a mechanically variable capacitor in reality. However, the issue I am having is that at the point "test", the input AC is not being converted to DC. If I replace the ZHCS350 diodes with virtual diodes and chage the junction voltage to 0.2V, the circuit works as i'd expect. Once I use non-ideal diodes though, i just get the same AC signal at "test" as I do at "V_in". I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I'm using a capacitive load and the diode resistance is not high enough compared to it but I dont really know what to do to fix this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,666 Views)

You will want to be using larger capacitors. (2uF should be sufficient)

Because you are working at low frequencies your capacitors are not holding a large enough charge to carry from one cycle to the next. 
With your ideal diode, the capacitors are unable to discharge during the off cycle, once you add a real diode they discharge through the parasitic resistances.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,656 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a little stuck for what to do though because my variable capacitor will be varing between say 0.3-1.5pF and adding a capacitor in parallel isn't really an option for what i'm trying to design. Can I perhaps limit the charge into the capacitor by maybe adding some resistor/inductor to increase the impeadance?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,650 Views)