From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a custom component in multisim using *.lib and *.olb files

i have  *.lib and *.olb files for a pspice model. which file i have to you while creating a custom component in multisim.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,951 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your question. In order to create simulatable custom components in Multisim you need a SPICE model (Multisim can also understand PSpice Models). The file format for SPICE model can be different according to the manufacturer, for instance: *.cir, *.lib, *.llb. At the end of the day these files are text files that you can open with a text editor, therefore, you can simply copy and paste the model in Multisim.

Here are two good resources on component creation:

Component Creation 101

Creating a Custom Component in NI Multisim

When you reach the step where you need to enter the SPICE model, simply open the *.lib or *.olb file with a text editor, and copy and paste the model.

Hope this helps.

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 2 of 5
(8,848 Views)

Hello,

What is a procedure if  .lib file is encrypted??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,086 Views)

Hi there,

Unfortunately if the file is encrypted you will not be able to use it in Multisim. Contact the company that provided the model to see if they have an open version of the model.

Best,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,080 Views)

I have .lib file of pspice model. I could see that the pspice simulator version is 16.0 in the text editor mode. Can this file be used to model multisim component in multisim 2013 version??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,576 Views)