Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bus vector doesn't assign correctly and other bus problems

When I try to place a bus vector the selected bus assignments are ignored and a new name is assigned to each splitter.  I first used 'add bus line' to fill out the bus, then copied down the desired connections aligned with the component pins on the left.  After completing the insertion the bus lines are not named as I selected, but have generically assigned names.  What's wrong?  If I assign to bus lines that already have another connection on them then it works.  Seems like the 'add bus lines' function does not really work.

Another problem I have is it seems I can't change a bus connection without all connections to the particular bus line also changing.  That's no fun.  Is the only way to rename a specific splitter to completely delete it and then re-insert?  I have many hundreds of bus connections to make.

Another problem is that the offpage bus connector does not seem to work.  I can place the first bus and the connectors on two pages, but it refuses to allow the bus on the second page to be named to match the bus on the first page.  I got the below instructions from the help, but step number 8 does not show a drop down to allow selection of the matching bus name.  The second page bus is clearly connected to the multisheet connector, but the bus has a different name, which cannot be changed to the desired matching bus name, and no signals from the first page bus are present to connect to.  If I look at the bus advanced tab I can see the bus connector on the first page is there, as is the matching connector on the second page.

Thanks if you can help.

Placing a Bus across Multi-Pages

Complete the following steps to place the same bus across two pages of a multi-page design:

1. Place a bus on the first page of your circuit.
  2. Select Place»Connectors»Bus Off-Page Connector. A ghost image of a Bus Off-Page Connector appears on the cursor.
  3. Place the connector at the desired end of the bus.
  4. Place a bus on another page, and wire another Bus Off-Page Connector to the bus.
  5. Double-click on the Bus Off-Page Connector to display the Bus Off-Page Connector dialog box.
  6. Change the Name to match the Name of the Bus Off-Page Connector on the first page and click OK. A message displays advising that connectors already exist with the same name.
  7. Click Yes to continue. The Resolve Bus Name Conflict dialog box appears.
  8. Choose the name of the bus from the main page in the Select name drop-down list and click OK. The names of the bus and the Bus Off-Page Connector in the second page change to match those in the first page. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,796 Views)

I tried in another design with no HB's and it worked fine.  Could that be an issue?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,773 Views)

I finally got this to work but attaching a short bus segment to the first bus with the off page connector.  I then copied the bus segment and connector and pasted to the second sheet.  It pasted with a different name, as expected.  I clicked on the connector and renamed it to match the desired bus and this time it worked.

It would not work doing exactly the same thing with a two segment bus section being copied.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,757 Views)