Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bill of materials export error message

Hello all,

I am having a problem when trying to export a bill of materials to excel format. The file is a multi-page design and I use a combination of User and Corporate database parts in the design.

Clicking 'Reports>Bill of materials' works ok.

But when i then click the excel icon i get the error message, "Some of the data could not be exported to Excel. Try saving to a file, then importing the file to Excel". The resultant excel file has some fields of information missing (in particular the circuit ref numbers, RefDes).

I am using Multisim 10 (v10.0.267). I have also tried updating to 10.0.343 but have the same problem.

I have exported the bill of materials to a file and tried importing to excel manually but this ends up a real mess and is very time consuming.

When I delete some random/different sections of the design, it exports ok to the excel format.

I have searched the forum for this error and was surprised that this is not a problem for anyone else.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with number of nets/components or a problem with the design file itself (other smaller design files i have will export ok to excel).

Can anyone suggest anything to help solve this?

Thanks,

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,428 Views)

Hi Barry,

Do you find that there are specific sections you can delete that makes the Excel icon work? If so, if you were to put those sections in a new design file and try the same thing, does that then work?

Would it be possible to upload the files you are using that we can use to replicate the behaviour? Which sections are you removing to make it work?

Regards,

Imtiaz Chowdhury
Project Manager
Green Running / Austin Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,398 Views)

Hi Imtiaz

Thanks for your reply.

The deleted sections are ok in other design files.

I have found that it does not seem to be related to the actual section I delete, and more to do with the amount.

If I delete just a couple of components there is no change. When I delete enough components, the export to excel is ok.

Using the 'Schematic Statistics' report, I've found that there seems to be a limit on the design, either the number of nets, components in a net, total number of pins, etc.

I have attached two screenshots of the stats from the two conditions (export error and export ok).

1) For the first attachment I have deleted some random components from the design but i still get the bom error when exported to excel.

2) For the next attachment I have deleted one extra component and the export to excel works ok.

Does this make any sense? Is there a limit in Multisim that I could be reaching?

Regards

Barry

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,393 Views)

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, I've been out of the office since my original reply. I notice you have 1789 components in the one where the error occurs and took away one of the real-components to get it to work. What happens if you then manually add that component back in, rather than undoing? Also, what happens if you copy another similar but different real component, does it then work ok? How much memory is being used by your PC? It could be that you are using up all of the PC's resources to be unable to handle everything open in memory at once. Again, without any files to do further testing myself it's difficult to give you a solid answer.

Regards,

Imtiaz Chowdhury
Project Manager
Green Running / Austin Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,333 Views)