From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't keepouts work for 3D-info layer?

Solved!
Go to solution

If I create a keepout area and select only 3D-Info Top and part height I do not get a DRC error for parts placed in the keepout.

If I add Silkscreen Top to the keepout list then it works, but I have no problem with silkscreen in the keepout, only parts.

It seems for part height keepout the 3D-Info layer should be the only one to use.  Why doesn't it work without silkscreen also checked?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,923 Views)

Hello Dbur,

Do you have an example to test the behavior you are getting?

Diego H

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,828 Views)

Yes, this is very simple.  Just create a height keepout and check only 3D info top.  Place a part in it.  No error.

Add silkscreen top to the keepout.  Now you get an error, but silkscreen has no height so why?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,826 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbur

Hello Dbur,

Thank you for the example. That was really helpful. 

That is actually an expected behavior and the recommended configuration. For the keep out area to flag height, you must include the silkscreen top. And the error disappears once the height parameter of the rule is accurate with the components.

Diego H

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,817 Views)

Would prefer it didn't do that.  At times some silkscreen feature then creates an error that it doesn't have to.  And the 3D layer is really the only place where the height conflict information is anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,797 Views)