From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my power planes on the inner layers of my pcb disappear when I reopen my Ultiboard project file?

When I save and reopen my Ultiboard pcb board layout file,  why do the power planes disappear?  I cannot re-place the power plane on that layer again until I delete a polygon object that is not visible to the eye on that layer. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,628 Views)

Hi,

Select Options>>PCB Preferences>>PCB Design, place a check in the "Show Copper areas" box.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,622 Views)

Thank-you for your reply.  The "show copper areas" box was already checked.  Could anything else be causing the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,522 Views)

Try to delete all your traces and see if power plane will show up.  Select Edit>>Selection Filter, disable everything except for traces and then select Edit>>Select All.  Since the only you can select are traces, press the Delete key on your keyboard and Ultiboard will remove only traces.

If the power plane appears, enable Select Polygon from the Selection Filter menu and then double click on copper plane, under the Copper Area tab reduce the copper island.

Also, try this:

1.  using the Selection Filter, enable everything except for Enable Selecting Polygon

2.  On the Design Toolbox select the Layers tab, place a check in all layers

3.  Select Edit>>Select All, everything on your design will be selected except for Power Plane

4.  Select File>>New

5.   Select>>Paste Special >>Paste with Nets

If you still have trouble, send us the file, you have to create a service request at:

http://www.ni.com/support/   

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,516 Views)

I'm afraid I still can't get it to work properly.  I cannot seem to start a service request since it appears that to do so is a paid service.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,507 Views)

Call our customer service line at: (800) 433 3488
Mention this Service Request: 1611677 to transfer to me.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,463 Views)

Call our customer service line at: (800) 433 3488
Mention this Service Request: 1611677 to transfer to me.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,463 Views)

As far as know, the PWR and GND layers are invisible to your eyes but not to the Gerber. If you move these layers to inner layer you can always have the control of them. Good luck.

Siamak

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,201 Views)