From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Multisim and Ultiboard databases not match sometimes????

I get really frustrated when creating a new component and I find the footprint I want in Ultiboard but when I try to select it in Multisim it is not there. Why is that???

As an example, I am creating a part for an SMD electrolytic capacitor, 1000uF, 16x16.5mm. Near as I can tell the footprint in Ultiboard is a CAPAE1700X1650N. Great, go back to Multisim to select that as the footprint and it is nowhere to be found. How can this be????

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,611 Views)

Search for the footprint and sort the Master Database 'Ultiboard Footprint' column and you will find that part listed in alphabetical order.  This PN is not present in the 'Package' column, but is aliased from part AlumElec-CaseJ16 to the PN you listed.

This can happen fairly often since there are multiple footprint columns for various cad references but only one Package column.  This allows common footprints to be used and cross-referenced to other cad tool names such as used by P-cad, Orcad, etc...., or even alternate names within Ultiboard.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,572 Views)

So does this mean all the footprints listed when you view the database in Utliboard show up in the "Ultiboard Footprint" column? Can't be because that field is blank for a lot of footprints when you look at them in Multisim. 

What's the connection? How do the numbers map across between Ultiboard and Multisim? Which I guess is my real question. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,566 Views)

Any part that does not have an Ultiboard PN will use the footprint designation in UB.

I think MS always uses the footprint designation, which is mapped to the UB PN if different when you transfer the netlist.  MS also always shows you the UB PN if you view the part in any database menu, so there should be no confusion.

There may be more subtleties to this but in 20 years I've never had to deal with any.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,562 Views)