Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultiboard: Vias and Component Pads

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to introduce High School students to basic pcb layout with Ultiboard.  Their circuits are transferring from Multisim and we are using Through-Hole-Technology so they can solder the circuit when complete.

Is there a way to force the Autoroute to start the traces for every part on the Copper Bottom?  It is much easier if all the component legs get soldered on the bottom.

Double-sided designs and vias are fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,007 Views)

Hi Mr_Cz,

I am not sure but I think when you use thru-hole and when the PCB is built, the holes are conductive depending on the footprint, check this link for more information http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2FB28A6C4943A8CA862575BD00522872

Regard,

PedroR

Message 2 of 5
(3,967 Views)

I am not sure but I think when you use thru-hole and when the PCB is built, the holes are conductive depending on the footprint...

PedroR: Thanks for the idea.  That link would be helpful if I don't want pads for the component legs.  I do want pads, but I only want them on the Copper Bottom.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,963 Views)

Mr_Cz,

Check step 5 of the Holes with copper ring section. It says that you'll have metal inside the hole meaning you'll have conductivity between layers (coppers). At the bottom usually, you see a little ring of metal or the component can be soldered to the metal inside the hole.

Regards,

PedroR

Message 4 of 5
(3,959 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr_Cz

PedroR: Your suggestion set me on the right track: The pads of the footprint needed to be changed.  Thank you!!

To modify all footprints in a design to prevent traces from originating on the Copper Top:

1. In the Select toolbar, choose only "Enable selecting THT pads".
  2. Edit >> Select all
  3. Right-click on any one of the pads, and choose "Properties"
  4. In the "Layer settings" tab, uncheck "Copper ring" for the "Copper Top" row.
  5. Click OK

Message 5 of 5
(3,957 Views)