Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ULTIBOARD: imported dxf lines change to copper or boardoutline layer

Ultiboard 11.0.1

After I import a dxf file, is it possible to changes selected dxf lines to an pcb layer (like copper or board outline)?

Just highlighting the layer I want to paste in doesn't work.

Also the option after selecting a dxf line in properties --> position layer doesn't show the pcb layers, only the dxf layers are visible.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,132 Views)

Hi Lighting01,

You can select the layer that you want to import your DXF as by going to File -> Import -> DXF. Then under Layers, select Merge input Data into existing layer. Then you can select the layer you want to merge the DXF into. After this point, it is not possible to change the layer.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,039 Views)

Ok  but this is the complete file, so now I need a DWG / DXF editor to save the parts / layers to another file I want to convert.

If you do just the DXF import Ultiboard have a hard time. (DXF import seems a bit too heavy).

It does work, but Ultiboard will be slow, save times are much longer etc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,036 Views)

Hi Lighting01,

My suggestion to you is that just import the entire design by going to File -> Import -> DXF. Select Import layers from file. This will create a DXF Imported Layer section in your Layers tab. You can use these as a reference and just trace the actual layers like copper top etc on top of this. There is no realistic way to import a complete DXF design into Ultiboard because the DXF file does not contain all the information needed by Ultiboard. After you have finished making the design in Ultiboard, just disable the DXF layers by removing the check mark from each layer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,033 Views)

That is what I did, but it seems to have a big impact in the performance of ultiboard.

It would be nice to have an option to select the layers you want to import.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,024 Views)