From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal pad under LQFP48 package

Hello,

I need a thermal pad in a footprint of a LQFP 48 package - the pad should have some vias to the bottom side.

I had no issue to implement the LQFP48 package with the part wizard - but havebn't been able to use "Pins" and "Copper area" to implement a decent thermal pad into the footprint which should be then pin "49" of the package.

How can this be done with Ultiboard.

I would like to point out, that I would like to have this pad in the _footprint_ !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,436 Views)

Hi tbet,

Generally thermal pads are added using a the rectangular SMD pin (or custom pad shape if you require a cutout). an example using the custom pad shape already in the database is the QFN40P600X600X80-49N.

This is easiest to do after clicking the "finish" button in the part wizard, while still in footprint edit mode.

An alternative to this is to edit the footprint after being saved using the database manager (tools > database > database manager) and edit the existing footprint.

From here you can use the pin placement dialog (place > pins) to select your desired shape from the SMD Pin dropdown. 

If you wish to use a custom pad shape, it needs to be created before the land pattern, which is done via the database manager.

From the database manager click the "Create New Part" button (Ctrl-N) and select "Custom pad shape", You will be brought to the custom pad shape editor where you can create the pad(usually done with a Polygon). Ensure you save the pad to the database when finished.

The pad is then placed from the pins dropdown as noted above by selecting the Custom shape and locating your saved pad in the database.

Regards,

Jason 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,426 Views)

I am using CC2640 with 48 pin VQFN RGZ package. 

How do I create a no lead footprint.  ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,703 Views)