Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TO-5 footprint in Ultiboard is wrong

TO-5, TO-5-H-03B are created as though it is a bottom view, not top view as it should be for a footprint! 

TO5, TRA_TO5 are in the shape of a TO-92

The multi-pin TO5 footprints appear to be correct. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,352 Views)

Hi,

The IC industry is not consistence when it comes to IC packaging, one manufacture could show the pins one way while another does the opposite. It's a good idea to double check the IC from Ultiboard because we could be looking at a different drawing than you. I searched for the TO-5-H-03B package and I found this page, it matches with the footprint from Ultiboard.

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/packages/PKG_PDF/HEADER%28H%29/H_03B_military.pdf

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,279 Views)

Really?? That shows a bottom view, which is exactly like the Ultiboard decal except that the Ultiboard decal should be a top view beccause that's where you put the part! *laugh*

Standard mechanical engeering drawings are drawn as though there is a box around the part and each side of the box is that view if you to unfold the box. Since the side view shows the pins pointing to the right, when you 'unfold' that side of the box, you have a bottom view. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,277 Views)

I don't create a lot of mechanical drawing so I am not familiar with what you are saying, but I find it strange that the drawing shows the bottom view.  I went to the ADI website and searched for any component that uses the TO-5 and this is the datasheet I found:

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD581.pdf

If you look at figure 1 on the first page you will see that the image indicates bottom view and the pins are flipped.  On the second last page, you see the drawing showing the pins similar to the previous post, so you have to assume it's the top view.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,272 Views)

The tab on the case is rotated 180 degrees on the second to last page. The pins are the same. It's the bottom view. 

I don't create any mechanical drawings myself, but when I was in college 30 years ago getting my degree, a drafting class was a mandatory requirement. It helps when you are trying to figure out drawings of part pinouts. 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,269 Views)