From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spice Netlist Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to model the DMMT3904W, dual transistor from Diodes Inc.  Upon simulatino I get this error:

------ Checking SPICE netlist for Design1 - Monday, June 27, 2011, 10:27:16 AM ------
SPICE Netlist Error in schematic RefDes 'u1', element 'au1':  Model type 'npn' is not permitted for components with prefix letter 'A'
SPICE Netlist Error in schematic RefDes 'u1', element '<unknown>':  Due to errors, the component 'au1' has been omitted from the simulation
======= SPICE Netlist check completed, 2 error(s), 0 warning(s) =======

This is the model I inserted:

*src=DMMT3904W;DI_DMMT3904W;BJTs NPN; Si;  40.0V  0.200A  347MHz   Diodes
Inc. Matched Transistor
.MODEL DI_DMMT3904W  NPN (IS=20.3f NF=1.00 BF=274 VAF=114
+ IKF=36.4m ISE=6.99p NE=2.00 BR=4.00 NR=1.00
+ VAR=24.0 IKR=90.0m RE=0.657 RB=2.63 RC=0.263
+ XTB=1.5 CJE=8.29p VJE=1.10 MJE=0.500 CJC=7.10p VJC=0.300
+ MJC=0.300 TF=426p TR=71.3n EG=1.12 )

Now I can't figure out where the 'a' or 'A' is coming from!  So...what did I do wrong?

Thanks....Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(13,731 Views)

Hi Steve,

I wanted to know what version of Multisim you are using. Is it possible for you ot post your circuit or a just a new design with the part that you created.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(13,726 Views)

Totally up to date with Multisim 11.0.2.

Attached is the test circuit I was using.  Apologies for the schematic symbol as I had fixed it and somehow it had never saved.  I edited it in the database from this circuit, clicked save, but when I deleted and reinserted it, the old symbol came back.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(13,718 Views)

I think I've got a handle now on what's wrong.  The model provided by Diodes Inc looks like a model for a single transistor.  So, comparing with the MAT02 model, it looks like I need a .subckt and then pin/model assignments for Q1 & Q2 before this will work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(13,708 Views)

The model is now straightened out but that had no effect on the error.  Attached is the latest file.

Note:  The error is the same as the statement listed in the first message.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(13,706 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author didymus7

Hi,

I was able to create the component for you. It is attached with this post. The symbol is just the generic box which you can modify by going to the Properties -> Value -> Edit component in DB and then going to Symbol. Read the model that I created for this component. You need a subckt for such models.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
Message 6 of 9
(13,699 Views)

@tayyab R wrote:

Hi,

I was able to create the component for you. It is attached with this post. The symbol is just the generic box which you can modify by going to the Properties -> Value -> Edit component in DB and then going to Symbol. Read the model that I created for this component. You need a subckt for such models.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!  This works.  I had done a similar thing here, but it did not work.  The only difference I can see is what you named each transistor.  Is it required that each transistor name start with a small q?  I had named mine Q1 and Q2, so maybe those are illegal?

Thanks...Steve

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(13,687 Views)

First I tried copying your model over to my component and still got the error.  So I figure that something got corrupted in my component.  Then I copied my symbol over to your component and everything still worked fine.  I think we're done here, unless you know of something else to check in my bad component.  I've been through everything but I might have missed something.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(13,681 Views)

Hi Steve,

As for your first question that if q or Q makes a difference, spice is not case sensitive so it shouldn't matter. The second thing about the component just not working. Sometimes, components can get corrupted if we try to edit them too many times so the best option at times is just to make a new one.

I hope that the next component you make works perfectly.

Thanks for the kudos.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(13,678 Views)