Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCP1028 Constant current LED driver. Which parts of the circuit to I need to ground? why is the current reaching kA?

My project aims to find out what happens when LED driver is connected to a triac dimmer, but I'm getting nowhere. The problem with which I have been struggling for months now, is that I can't make out why doesn't the circuit work as it should. I have followed th schematic of a ON semiconductor NCP1028LED Evaluation Board ( http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCP1028LEDGEVB_SCHEMATIC.PDF ) and used similar schematics awailable in NI page http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14829/en/ as an example, but it turns out that that is faulty too. First of all the diode rectifier is not right, one of the diodes needs to be rotated and whit that fixed it's still not working as it should. 

I need help! 

Big thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,786 Views)

Update
I have focused in on the problem a bit

I've isolated the power supply and removed the ground from there. After that the simulation works a bit better but I still have peaks of current. 

I've found that the current must come from the filter after the rectifier as seen on this picture - the current probe is connected to the rectifier minus and the voltage comes from the plus side.

I've tried different filter options but I get the same result with all of them. 

Untitled.png

There must be something else 

can someone please tell me whats causing the current peaks? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,748 Views)

Hello,

I do not believe removing the ground from the power source is a good idea.

It seems that both of your circuits are working and I am getting this results:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,729 Views)

What is the expected behaviour?

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,728 Views)
It's a led driver, the current should be in mA. The problem is that the filter after the rectifier isn't keeping the voltage leveled and is causing current peaks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,715 Views)

What is your OS? What is your Multisim version? 

I am getting a different behaviour and I have Windows 7 with Multisim 14.0.1

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,691 Views)
Multisim 13 windows 10. Aren't you getting current peaks? What's the wattage you get?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,685 Views)

I believe that Multisim 13 on Windows 10 could cause troubles based on this official document:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52818/en/

Only Multsim 14.0 or higher is supported on Windows 10. I am getting this results

Screenshot_3.jpg

If you want you can tell me wich oututs do you want and I can do a transient analyses.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,679 Views)

I upgraded my multisim to 14 and still ge the same results 

Problems I'm having:

1.png

Why is the sine wave like this at that point (before the rectifier)? if I ground one point then the wave is normal, but the current reaches kA again

1.1.png

The Current and wattage in the filter and the rectified voltage, why? in reality the combined wattage of the entire circuit would be around 1W.

2.png 

Why don't I get wattage from the wattmeter? 

3.png

Also I discovered that NCP1028 has an average wattage of 47W which I believe isn't quite right either

4.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,669 Views)

Hello rauno.

I want to let you know that your questions are more related to the circuit functionality than an actual error in Multisim. I am not sure how the circuit should work. So there is not much that I can do for you. If you were getting an error it would be different.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,651 Views)