Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisim 14 giving wrong current reading

Solved!
Go to solution

I have Multisim 14 (Student Edition), at my college they use the Educator Edition.

A simple RCL series circuit, 15ohm resistor, 32mH inductor, 4.7uF capacitor, supply 10Vrms at 500Hz.

Measuring using the multimeter.

Measuring the current I get 262mA with my Student Edition (Which is wrong).

At college the same circuit measures 277mA which is correct.

Which also means all of my voltage reading are incorrect across every component.

I cant use any of the circuits I am making with the student edition as they are all reading the wrong values, is there a fix for this problem, or is the student edition incorrect all the time because its cheaper?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,608 Views)

Hey ChrisBee79

That sounds frustrating! Are you using the exact same file? And are the Simulate»Interactive Simulation settings»Analysis Options» are identical?

If yes to the above would you be able to provide the file to see if the behaviour can be replicated?

Thanks,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,566 Views)

Hi NIRebecca,

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm it is the same file used, I transferred it between computers via USB.

As far as I know the settings are the same, but can not be 100%.

Attached is the file, as I said it is a very basic circuit, but required for college.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,564 Views)

Im guessing there is no solution to the problem that the student edition does not work correctly.

If that is the case, how do I go about getting a refund on the product as it does not work correctly?

As its aimed at students, but cant be used for college as the results it gives are wrong, then obviously its not fit for purpose.

Let me know who I need to contact if any one knows?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,547 Views)

Hey ChrisBee79,

Sorry for the delay in reply - I'm having trouble recreating the differences you've reported. I can run the code you supplied in both Student and Education Edition and get the same result (273mA). (See image)

Have you compared the settings at your home installation and at college to see if they match?

I'll keep having a look to see if I can recreate the lower reading - but so far no luck!

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,538 Views)

Hi,

Thanks and sorry if I seem to be getting frustrated about this, just want to find out what is going on really.

My settings are default, I checked the Analysis Options to what you have posted and they are the same.

I am unable to see any difference so far between settings from mine to the college.

I did notice one difference in what you posted, you have version:14.0.1

Mine is version: 14.0.0.

I clicked on NI Updater, it does not give an option for your version, just shows 14.1, which it wont let me download as it is for Education version only, not Student Edition.

Could that be the issue?

If not, any other idea's?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,534 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChrisBee79

Hey Chris,

I guess we're limited on difference that would explain the behaviour!

You could try an upgrade: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-circuit-design-suite-educational-edition-14.0.1/5786/en/ and see if there's any improvement. 

I downloaded Multisim fresh to try to replicate so all settings were as default from install.

In the meantime I'll have a look at our archives to see if anyone else has seen this behaviour!

Kind regards, 

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,528 Views)

Hi Rebecca,

Great news, I updated Multisim to 14.0.1 through the link you gave and it now works correctly, showing 273mA.

Thank you very much for your help and patience, that latest update was essential, guess I downloaded multisim just before the update.

Thanks again for the help

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,525 Views)

Awesome news 🙂 

I didn't see any CAR or bug filed for erroneous current reads in 14.0.0 - but it's good we've now got some record of this behaviour in case it pops up again! 

All the best with the project! 

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,517 Views)