From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS 12.0.1: Bug? Rename/Renumber Components Tool: Prefix and Offset Wrong

Hi,

I was having trouble with the Rename/Renumber Components Tool, so I built a test test design to make sure the issue wasn't just a problem with my design.  In the design shown below, also attached, there's a main file, with a HB called Resistors, which has a 10-resistor series circuit, R1 through R10.  There is also an HB called Capacitors, which has a 10-capacitor series circuit, C1 through C10.  Both HBs were copied 8 times to make a total of 16 HBs.  Then, all HBs were interconnected with inductors. Notice in the Design toolbox the HBs are listed in HB# order. 

circuit built up before using renumbering tool.JPG

At start of Rename/Renumber process, appears there's a proper synch between how all the items are listed in the various dialogs.

at start of rename, appears hierarchy view in Ref des prefix setup matches H view in toolbox.JPG

In Reference Designator Prefix Setup, I assigned parts in HB1 a prefix of A and numerical offset of 100, HB2 a prefix of B and a numerical offset of 200, and so on to HB16, which was assigned a prefix of P and a numerical offset of 1600.  I didn't assign a prefix or offset to the parts in the main sheet.  It looked like it worked.  See image below.

after rename, appears hierarchy view in Ref des prefix setup matches H view in toolbox.JPG

In reality, the prefixes and offsets were not assigned as expected.  Assigned prefixes appear to always match assigned offsets, e.g. An HB that was assigned the prefix D would have the numbering offset 400.   But, as can be seen in image above, HB5 was originally assigned the prefix E and the offset 500, and still appears to have that set up in the Reference Designator Prefix Setup dialog, as shown below, but the Rename Component Reference Designator dialog shows HB5 was actually assigned the prefix C and the offset 300.  Also note that the HBs in the Design toolbox list are no longer in HB# order. 

In reality some differences.JPG

Another example, same project.  HB3 was originally assigned the prefix C and the offset of 300, and HB4 was originally assigned the prefix D and the offset of 400.  And, when the Reference Designator Prefix Setup dialog is opened, it still appears to be set up that way.  But the Rename Component Reference Designators dialog shows that HB3 was assigned the prefix I and the offset 900, and HB4 was assigned the prefix J and the offset 1000.

In reality some differences2.JPG

Any chance I'm just doing it wrong?  I'd love to be able to use this tool. 

Thanks!

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,271 Views)

Thank you for reporting this issue, we will look into it.

Use the HB reference order in the Design Toolbox to correspond with Reference Designator Prefix Setup dialog.  Using the forth screen shot as an example, HB5 in the Design Toolbox correspond to HB 3 in the setup dialog.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,239 Views)