Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lead / Lag current probes phase angle error?

I've set up a simple test circuit (attached) to check on a problem that appeared in a 3phase circuit I was simulating.

This parallel test circuit has a resistive branch with a current reference probe, then two further branches using the Z=A+jB and Z=A-jB blocks.

I expected the Z=A+jB block to give a lagging current (inductive) with negative angle and vice-versa for Z=A-jB (capacitive).

But the probes in the attached example perform in the opposite way. Can someone please shed some light on this.

Attached as image and MS14 files.

Using version MultiSim Education v14.0.0 (14.0.593).  I saw another post re current measurement errors in this version. Related?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,656 Views)

I did a further test to check on the Z_load elements, using discrete RC elements in one branch and RL elements in another branch.

But this gave the same error with +/- phase angles for current.

The oscilloscope appears to show the same problem as the probes, with the current in RC branch lagging the supply voltage?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,644 Views)

Hi brentp,

I think the circuit it is correct. "L" leads to a positive phase, and "C" leads to a negative phase. ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/impcom.html#c1)

Capture1.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,564 Views)

Thanks for the reply and yes I agree with your definitions of +/- angle for the impedance.

But I'm expecting to see the opposite polarity for the current measurements, given a voltage reference at 0deg

and I=V/Z or I=V.Y 

then I must be in phase with Y, which is the reciprocal of Z, hence with an opposite +/- angle.

Interested to see if others duplicate this issue or is there something else missing?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,554 Views)

Hi brentp,

This is the result that I am getting:

Lead_lag_current.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,549 Views)