Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add a footprint to a 555?

Recently I tried to add a (DIP8) footprint to a 555 in Multisim 13 (power pro edition), but I can't seem to find any way to do this.

If I follow How Do I Assign a Footprint to a Virtual Component in Multisim? I get stuck at the part where you have to click on a small icon in the footprint field. That icon does not appear when the 555 is selected, while it does appear with any other component. Besides all basic components, even the ground, oscilloscope and frequency counter can get a footprint.

So why not with the 555?

To work around this issue, I hooked up the DIP8-component in parralel to the 555. So that when transfering the circuit to Ultiboard and the 555 get's lost in the process, there is a DIP8 footprint available hooked up the same way as the 555.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,306 Views)

You should be able to add a footprint to a virtual symbol, but why not just use one of the 555 parts that has a Dip 8 footprint assigned. There are several in the Master Dbase. just use the filter in the search for 555.

To add the footprint to your virtual part, in the schematic:

• right click the 555 symbol and select properties.
  • Select edit footprint
  • select from data base
  • From the data base find the dip 8 part.

I just tried this and below is a screenshot after I followed the above steps.

555footprint.JPG

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,294 Views)

Oops-------------Somehow this reply posted twice. Mod can you please delete one of the duplicate post? Thanks

You should be able to add a footprint to a virtual symbol, but why not just use one of the 555 parts that has a Dip 8 footprint assigned. There are several in the Master Dbase. just use the filter in the search for 555.

To add the footprint to your virtual part, in the schematic:

• right click the 555 symbol and select properties.
  • Select edit footprint
  • select from data base
  • From the data base find the dip 8 part.

I just tried this and below is a screenshot after I followed the above steps.

555footprint.JPG

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,293 Views)

There is no edit footprint-button on the 555's properties-window, I checked every tab.

Ehm, there's more than one 555 in the database? ...... the other one I just found (which has no footprint assigned) also can't be given a footprint through the spreadsheet view. However, that one does have an edit footprint-button on the properties window, thanks for the tip 🙂

Now to link the right pins of the footprint to the right pins of the 555, the only pin that seems to be correct is VCC (pin 8).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,285 Views)