From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indicator lights are blinking

I tried to hook up a simple light circuit to see if my Multisim program was working correctly.  I used a 120v/60hz power source connected it to 120volt/100watt light bulb and then went to ground, when I started the sim the bulb just started blinking and would never show a solid on indication.  What surprises me is the fact that the only criteria that you can change is the delay time factor and this only controls the blowing of the filament.  what am I doing wrong here?  I mean its like hooking up a bulb in your house and this is not working am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,209 Views)

If you think about it, it is simulating properly.  As the AC cycle passes from positive to negative (with respect to ground), the voltage across the lamp becomes 0 for a finite amount of time.  It's the same in the real world but you don't notice it because the physical light bulb filament stays hot and continues to produce light during this transition.  The bulb in MS doesn't experience the hysteresis effect so it blinks on and off when the applied voltage is at 0 VAC. If you slow the frequency of the AC source down and place a scope across the lamp, you can see the effect.  The lamp is off, it then turns on with the filament gray, then as the voltage peaks, the filament turns red.  Then the process reverse as it approaches 0 VAC then repeats for the negative cycle.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,195 Views)