Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import modified Orcad netlist to existing Ultiboard Design

I am a long time Ultiboard V4.83 user - and I am currently evauating version 10.1.

I have loaded a V4.83 job into V10.1 just fine. I use Orcad V9.2 for schematic capture and I am just trying to figure out how to re-import netlists into Ultiboard after modifying the original schematics.

If I use File/Open/  and choose 'Calay netlist files'  a new project is started - unplaced and unrouted of course!

Ideally there would be a 'Calay netlist' option under the File/Import/ menu...

Is there an easy solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,591 Views)
Hi Tim,

Just to confirm, you are trying to import Calay netlist files into an existing project rather than to a new project?

Which version of Ultiboard are you using? Full/Power pro?

Ultiboard does support Calay netlist files, aswell as orcad files. I have attached the supported file formats listed.

Ultiboard files (*.ewprj)
Orcad files (*.max, *.llb)
Protel files (*.pcb, *.ddb)
Gerber files (*.g)
DXF files (*.dxf)
Ultiboard 5 design files (*.ddf)
Ultiboard 5 libraries (*.l55)
Netlist files (*.ewnet, *.net, *.nt7)
Calay netlist files (*.net)

One thing to consider is File > Import > UB Netlist

This will allow you to import *.net files.

Is this what you were wanting?

Kind regards,
Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,561 Views)

Hi TimG,

I was just wondering how you were getting on with the evaluation of Ultiboard 10.1? I hope your well and have a good festive period.

Kind regards,

Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,524 Views)

I'm generally impressed with the latest Ultiboard. I get to use various CAD systems in my work for various clients, and Ultiboard compares well.

To clarify, the issue is importing schematic netlists into an existing PCB design. Ultiboard V10.1 only seems to accept importing a schematic netlist in Ultiboard's own format, so, as an Orcad Capture user, it is necessary to use a translator program to reformat an Orcad generated netlist for import into Ultiboard.

The frustrating thing is that Ultiboard will accept other formats when loading a new job. I am now aware there is a workaround involving loading the revised schematic netlist as a new job and then pasting the new job into the existing job, overwriting the nets. 

Version 5 Ultiboard had a neat Windows 98 utility (Tango to ULTIboard.exe) that translated Tango format schematic netlists into Ultiboard .net and .cmp format files. Unfortunately this program won't run under XP, even with Win98 compatability settings. So I'm writing a new translator program myself...

BTW, Tango is a better format for importing netlists than Calay which doesn't accept the underscore character in net names.

Next step in the evaluation of Ultiboard is to benchmark the autorouter against Specctra....

Happy Holiday everyone!

Tim.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,492 Views)

It seems like some people were able to get EWB 4 running in Windows XP using DOSBox. If you still have EWB 5 around you may be able to run it under DOSBox as well.

Here's the thread about DOSBox and EWB4:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=370&thread.id=5030

Here's where you can get DOSBox:

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,487 Views)

I have OrCAD 15.7 and I and tried to import Calay netlist file but was unsuccessful.  Orcad files (*.max, *.llb), the *.max is OrCAD layout file suffix.  The *.MNL is the net file.

Could you let me know what's the right one for the format?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,986 Views)
Did the netlist import issue described in my original post get fixed in Ultiboard version 11?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,934 Views)

I use Orcad 9.x to capture schmatics, as does our entire lab.

What netlist that Orcad Schematic Capture generates will Ultiboard accept and call patterns from the pcb footprint field?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,895 Views)

Maybe one of the NI tech support people could give us an update on the Orcad netlist import issue?

We eventually decided that another manufacturer's software better met our needs Smiley Wink Email me via www.t-g-c.net if you need any more information.

Tim.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,862 Views)