Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create overlapping component without DRC errors

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to create a component (shielding box) wich goes over other components, and I don't want DRC errors.

Can I switch of DRC errors for one component or ????

I use V11.01 power pro.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,581 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Chris75

Hi Chris,

You can create your own component with only pins and 3D-Info top layer information (without silkscreen shape info, maybe only text).

To do that follow these guideline steps (i might be missing something in the middle but this should give you an idea):

- Go to Tools/Database/Database Manager

- Create new PCB part under the user database

- This will open a new footprint page. In there, include all your pins (Place/pins) and 2D shapes IN THE "3D-Info Top" layer

- In the 2D shape properties (that you just inserted) you can go to the 3D data tab and add offset heights and create 3D shapes

- Once you're done go to file/save to database as

- In your original project you can include this part and it should not give you DRC errors if it is placed correctly, to make sure go to the 3D view and take a look at it

Hope this helps.

Mahmoud Wahby

Product Marketing Enginer, NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,558 Views)

What if the part is not simply a 3D part.  For example, I may want to put a capacitor or resistor within the footprint  of a large IC socket.  I'd like both the capacitor and the socket to have silkscreen, pads...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,392 Views)

Hi echeever,

You can overlap these 2 components, you just need to disable the part shoving  under Design>Part Shoving

Once you place both components a DRC error will be generated, for that right click on the error and click "Add to Filter" so that Ultiboard knows these specific 2 components are allowed to be placed on top of each other. Check the image attached image.

Please post your next question in a new thread to guarantee someone gets back to you on time.

Best Regards,

Mahmoud W

NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,390 Views)

Mahmoud,

My experience is if I add an error to the filter it disables reporting for all of that type of error, not just that specific error instance.

This pretty much makes error filters useless.  It would be great if as you say it only added the specific error instance to the filter.

I always just live with the errors and remember which ones are OK, so I don't miss another instance which might actually be a real error.

Am I wrong, or has this changed recently?

David B

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,353 Views)

I just re-tested this in UB12, and it still behaves as I described.

David B

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,352 Views)

Hi David,

You are correct about the error filter, there's no way that Ultiboard would understand that an error instance is specific for 2 components only.

In that case, you'd better leave the design with a DRC error that you are aware of.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Mahmoud W

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,349 Views)